• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Curly Cherry!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking Maple. That tree might have grown in an area that had it's own particular combination of minerals etc. hence the unique coloring. Either way it's going to make for eye catching stock. Give it the 'sniff test' like Whughett suggested.

I have seen curly cherry, beautiful! When the kiln opened in Ohio I would pick a plank of curly maple for $30, then stumbled over a curly cherry plank but was out of money. The regret was being poor. I regret the loss even today after 66 years.

I have some cherry here along with both red maple and sugar maple. There should be no mistaking cherry for maple.

Five or more years ago I put cherry scales on a knife, and finished with BLO. It NEVER darkened outside the difference the oil made, and is sort of an orangish color. I have slabs of cherry that dried in my shed out of the sun and they did darken a bit as they dried. I took a piece of that cherry, ran it across the joiner/planer, and it was back to being pink. With a mixutre of NaOH and H20 brushed on, the cherry darkened. Rinsed and dried, it wasn't as dark as I wanted, so I brushed it on again, and left it almost dry before rinsing. That piece with tung oil applied is a beautiful dark red. I have a barrel in a stock that will get that treatment.

To check if cherry, just set it out in sunshine with a quarter or penny sitting on it. In a few hours lift that coin. You’ll see a lighter tone where it sat, if thats cherry. Cherry keeps darkening with uv light and changes in just a few hours.

Back