• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Curious situation with Pietta 1858 Remington

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gkterry

32 Cal
Reaction score
My Pietta 1858 New Navy Belt Model has a situation that seems a bit odd to me. When I slowly release the hammer from full cock, the cylinder usually indexes back one chamber. Part way through the hammer release the cylinder bolt unlocks and the cylinder indexes back. Note: this only occurs when slowly releasing the hammer. A normal speed hammer fall does not index back one chamber.

Is this normal? This occurs with the factory cylinder. I have a conversion cylinder too and it does not do that.

This is my first Remington style revolver and I didn't check to see if that was normal before I tore it down. I have had a plethora of other BP revolvers and never recall this occurring with any of them.
I have taken the gun apart and done some very light polishing and put it back together. Perhaps, I have something not quite right. Any ideas what I could check if this is not normal?

This is the only Remington type revolver I have. I do have a Rogers & Spencer revolver and it does not index the cylinder back one chamber when slowly releasing the hammer.

I appreciate any thoughts on this subject.
Thanks!

I took the revolver apart again and re-assembled it and this time the cylinder was rock solid during all phases of the cocking/ de-cocking process. Not sure what I did wrong the first time but I must have installed something a bit off. Anyway, all seems to be well with my revolver now.

On some it's easy to get the leg of the trigger/bolt spring that handles the bolt off just enough that the bolt operation goes awkward.

Thanks, that is something I will keep my eye on in the future when reassembling.

I watched a Youtube video by 'Black Powder Rookie' showing this very same issue and he demonstrated that the screw holding the bolt and trigger spring was a bit loose and caused the reverse indexing. Once it was tightened the gun functioned normally. So, it seems that trigger/ bolt spring area is one I need to keep my eye on. Now I know to be careful of the spring orientation and tighten the screw sufficiently. Thanks again. @bang for educating me - much appreciated.

Back