• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ctg. Pouch or box simple comercial

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The one I've shown is a comercial Cartridge box made by "Hunter"? for taking a 20 box of center-fire rounds. I merely made wooden inserts for the paper ctgs. and drilled 1/2" holes, bevelled the tops of them with a case chamfer tool in the drill press. Due to my ctgs. being tapered, they fit well and are easily retrieved from the box. These have .715 balls in them and are made from printer paper, 24 guage, I believe. They are very handy in the field with quick re-loads. Large cal. rifles also benefit from these, as my .14 guage rifle shoots them (.684"ball) with the same accuracy as with cloth-patched ball.
: With a flinter, you have priming, main charge, and ball, all in one ctg for a fast second shot, the first being a patched ball(or ctg. as they shoot very nearly the same or exactly with the same accuracy. They will foul a bit more, but if dipped in melted bullet lube, just the ball end, will shoot cleaner. I would use a lube that wasn't too greasy, like beeswax/vaseline as it will harden and not spoil the powder. A 60% beesewax, 40% vas. works well. Neetsfoot OIL instead of vaseline, works well too. I used small strips of masking tape on these ctgs. just as an experiment. Prior, I glued them. The tape seems to work just as well. I've heard of using post-it pad paper for ctgs. and see no reason why they wouldn't work too. I taper mine as shown, so they are easier to rip off with the teeth, and lose less powder, as well, the small end makes priming easier. The ctg., after priming, is stuffed into the muzzle, pointy end down, ball up. By the time you've got the rammer out, the powder will have drained down into the breech, then push the paper ctg. down on top. The paper has never ignited, but I wouldn't use them in dry weather or in dry bush in case of forest fire. Hunting in the snow is great.
Daryl
:
ctg.%20pouch%201.JPG

:
ctg.%20pouch%203.JPG

Very cool, much like the 'belly boxes' I wear during Rev War re-enactments! Except we have 18 holes.

Yes - my brother made one for his 1728 Bess, right down to the emblem on the front flap. Not having his skill with leather, wood or steel, I simply used the commercial box I already had. I may punch out the snap for a stud attachment.
Daryl

Back