• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crucible Steel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Ivory

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm new to knife making and just heard the term "Crucible steel".
Can't find a reference for that.

What's Crucible steel?

It's an early manufacturing process for making steel. Crucible steel is better than what came before but not as good Bessemer Process Steel.

(From Google) Crucible steel is steel made by melting pig iron (cast iron), iron, and sometimes steel, often along with sand, glass, ashes, and other fluxes, in a crucible. In ancient times steel and iron were impossible to melt using charcoal or coal fires, which could not produce temperatures high enough.

As steels go it can have lots of inclusions and soft and hard spots.

It's an early manufacturing process for making steel. Crucible steel is better than what came before but not as good Bessemer Process Steel.

(From Google) Crucible steel is steel made by melting pig iron (cast iron), iron, and sometimes steel, often along with sand, glass, ashes, and other fluxes, in a crucible. In ancient times steel and iron were impossible to melt using charcoal or coal fires, which could not produce temperatures high enough.

As steels go it can have lots of inclusions and soft and hard spots.

Thanks!
I remember some of the Bessemer process but nothing about crucible steel.
-Jim

Yes, Doc Ivory. Bessemer's process was to blow heated air through molten iron. The issue was that, as originally smelted, cast iron had far too much carbon in it. Maybe 2-3%. Usable tool steel is below 1.25% and mostly below 1%. Blowing the air through oxidized away the carbon. At first they tried calibrating how long they held the blast to hit a carbon percentage target. That was too difficult, so they ended up blasting out all the carbon and then adding a selected amount back in to the pure iron.

Crucible steel got at the same result by dilution. They mixed ultra-high carbon cast iron with lower carbon wrought iron and flux. It was melted in a crucible (hence the name) to keep it from being exposed to carbon monoxide in the furnace and picking up more carbon.

Once I helped a friend with an experiment where we heated mild steel in a charcoal fire in a clay furnace with limited oxygen. It's called an Aristotle furnace. The excess carbon monoxide combined with the low carbon steel and we got a melted lump of tool steel on the end of a mild steel rod.

Yes, Doc Ivory. Bessemer's process was to blow heated air through molten iron. The issue was that, as originally smelted, cast iron had far too much carbon in it. Maybe 2-3%. Usable tool steel is below 1.25% and mostly below 1%. Blowing the air through oxidized away the carbon. At first they tried calibrating how long they held the blast to hit a carbon percentage target. That was too difficult, so they ended up blasting out all the carbon and then adding a selected amount back in to the pure iron.

Crucible steel got at the same result by dilution. They mixed ultra-high carbon cast iron with lower carbon wrought iron and flux. It was melted in a crucible (hence the name) to keep it from being exposed to carbon monoxide in the furnace and picking up more carbon.

Once I helped a friend with an experiment where we heated mild steel in a charcoal fire in a clay furnace with limited oxygen. It's called an Aristotle furnace. The excess carbon monoxide combined with the low carbon steel and we got a melted lump of tool steel on the end of a mild steel rod.

Thanks...
This is why i sit in on these forums.
An answer even I can understand.

-Jim

The steel is formed in a crucible - which is an air-tight, high-temperature oven, made in ancient (and not so ancient) times by using a mortar mix to seal a chamber made of rocks after the raw materials are placed within.

Doing so correctly can take a considerable time of blind baking (if you will) - which takes multiple times to gain the experience to judge when the metal's "cooked" enough.

(google " making an Ulfberht Viking sword" )

I believe you must credit Benjamin Huntsman clock maker of Sheffield and the Abbeydale industrial Hamlet Millhouses Sheffield . He suaght reliable steel for clocks springs Mid 18c . The Hamlet now restored occasionally operrates .
Rudyard

I believe you must credit Benjamin Huntsman clock maker of Sheffield and the Abbeydale industrial Hamlet Millhouses Sheffield . He suaght reliable steel for clocks springs Mid 18c . The Hamlet now restored occasionally operrates .
Rudyard

That's correct. Funny thing, though, is the steel made from his process was at first rejected by English Steel Workers in Birmingham and to a lesser degree in London, because it was more difficult to harden/anneal than earlier steels. So Huntsman at first sold most of his steel to the French and to a large degree, those who made scissors and shears. Well, when those scissors and shears proved much better than made in England, the Birmingham makers reluctantly learned to do what was necessary to learn how to harden and anneal it correctly.

Gus

Just a FYI. The original true Damascus steel was a crucible steel. What we call Damascus today is a pattern welded product of two or more different types of steel. The process for making true Damascus steel was kept secret for so long, it apparently was lost until just recently, but it was made by a crucible process.

A bold observation and welcome. Somewhere in the mix is Wootzs from India & the swords of Damascus . The Barrels I believed where a speciality of what we call Kurdistan. Rigby was the noted maker who according to John Nigel George first produced Damascus circa 1818 . (As apposed to Twist) barrels and pickled them to produce the enhanced grain per good Kurdish work . How accurate we both are Ide love to find out,
I see it as pieces in a puzzle we are unlikley to find .But they might turn up in the near East one day if so much is lost in the turmoils of these regions in the last two hundred years . I remain an ardent devotee of good Damascus that the FMEs so unkindly condemn, Probably akin to the new duellers V the originals it has what could be called a 'soul'. Or am I being too poetic ?.
Rudyard

Back