• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Crow shooting.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Brit, Thought Rooks & Jackies were off the list these days or am reading the new DEFRA license wrong?? OLD DOG..
I thought I understood it good to go for animal health issue's.
If not the case then defra has moved the goal posts again floundering before the vegans and proven to be completely out of touch with life in the country.
To quote Gru from the Despicable Me movies " don't care".

Someone will get in touch if they need to, but I doubt it!

Similar to doves yes.
They only mate with their kind. They nest in tree hollows or cracks, old buildings and chimneys. In fact some partially bloked one of my chimneys last year until the 410 caught up with them!
so are they territorial?

I thought I understood it good to go for animal health issue's.
If not the case then defra has moved the goal posts again floundering before the vegans and proven to be completely out of touch with life in the country.
To quote Gru from the Despicable Me movies " don't care".

Someone will get in touch if they need to, but I doubt it!
Brit, was that .410 up the Chimbly like with M/L in day of yore or a small twist of gun powder from the iron mongers to sweep the soot.. O D..

so are they territorial?
Kind of.
My observations are that carrion crows when nesting solitary are very territorial of their area. Actively pushing intruders or threats away other than man.
Rooks nest in colonies and return year in year out to the same site.
Come winter though rooks, jackdaws and crows will roost all together in a wood or forest but will stick to their own kind in the roosting site. It is not a rule though. They may roost separately and also individually too.
Jackdaws and rooks are very gregarious and at ease with each other. Carrion crows on the other hand just about tolerate the other two's presence and including magpies until food competition gets serious or come breeding time.
Ravens are a law to themselves and fear nothing except man.

Kind of.
My observations are that carrion crows when nesting solitary are very territorial of their area. Actively pushing intruders or threats away other than man.
Rooks nest in colonies and return year in year out to the same site.
Come winter though rooks, jackdaws and crows will roost all together in a wood or forest but will stick to their own kind in the roosting site. It is not a rule though. They may roost separately and also individually too.
Jackdaws and rooks are very gregarious and at ease with each other. Carrion crows on the other hand just about tolerate the other two's presence and including magpies until food competition gets serious or come breeding time.
thank you sir for the reply. it is strange, but they are all birds in the end.

Theres a great shot of a guy testing his red dot on a crow utube. We have pet crows living in our trees since 1952 same family. Always waiting for food but they ain’t friendly did have a young one as a pet but it broke its leg and vet killed it. Never been so upset in all my life , so intelligent

The lady raven that lived with my Great Uncle Ted in North Wales was not afraid of anything that lived and moved. I remember her on visits to see him when I was very young - she used to sit on my shoulder and nibble my ear - VERY gently. Ted never married, not having found a woman who could live up to his high standards, he said, but in his later years a housekeeper from the nearby village in North Wales where he lived used to come in and clean up three times a week.

One day she called up my mom to tell her that she'd just gone into the house and found him dead in the kitchen The funny thing is, she said, 'when I was here the other day 'that bird' wouldn't let him be, she was following him around the house like a lost dog. As usual, she flew off for her afternoon flap as I closed the door.'

More than that, she was never seen again by anybody.

This is one of the busiest time for me the crows and jackdaws have been very active around the fat beast pens , the last 4 days resulting in a 4 am morning rise because they have been hitting the standing barley and wheat really hard which I but down to the recent dry weather . .Yesterday I took a bad tumble while in the hide and damage to my left leg which is bruised it could have been worse but with a couple of days rest I hope I will be back
Feltwad

This is one of the busiest time for me the crows and jackdaws have been very active around the fat beast pens , the last 4 days resulting in a 4 am morning rise because they have been hitting the standing barley and wheat really hard which I but down to the recent dry weather . .Yesterday I took a bad tumble while in the hide and damage to my left leg which is bruised it could have been worse but with a couple of days rest I hope I will be back
Feltwad
Take your time FW. Aging limbs need to warm up for longer. And don't spill your powder!
Early morning starts are the best time. Coming off roost they come straight into the deeks.
Had some coming into what we call finishing sheds hitting the rolled barley feed a couple of summers ago.
I built my blind in an adjacent barn and got in place before they left their roost. I had a few good mornings before they got wise.

CROWE'S, MAGPIES, & RAVENS, ALL THE SAME TO ME! BLACK WITH FEATHERS!

Back in the 1950's and 60's in S.W. Pa. , huge flocks of wintering crows would fly back and forth between their rooking and feeding areas , morning and evening. One winter they rooked at night on the east side of the Monongahela River. For weeks when we had time to have sport with the crows early in the morning , at 4 AM , we would walk into the high river hill escarpment on the west side of the river and ambush the birds as they had to struggle to clear the hill top edge at daylight going back to feed. It was pass shooting at it's finest. I think due to West Nile Virus there will never be the 1000 bird flocks as were back then. As always , could the West Nile bird sickness have been an intentionally introduced plot to devastate our bird population ? Probably so...........oldwood
I saw them about six years ago in the winter I was working in point breeze , There must have been a thousand flying around Carlow college. They were down the north side of the hill across the Allegheny river route 28 and as far up the hill as you could see. If I never saw it i would not believe it. Never saw so many crows.

Back