• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Crow shooting.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that looks like fun, but you can keep that major crow problem on your side of the big pond.
Crows, especially jackdaws are reaching plague proportions.
A general decline in shooting and trapping coupled with vegans influence in politics means they are out of control.
It is a losing battle really, its just fortunate that it is extremely good fun.....oops no it is extremely vital and hate every minute of it!🤥

We have tons of Crow here as well. We also have tons of Hawks (Red Shoulder and Red Tail), the mortal enemy of the Crow, and it’s a rare day that a Hawk doesn’t follow at least one of the Crows I shoot to the ground fully intent on finishing what I started. On our farm as soon as I post up behind the blind a few of our resident Hawks will come hang out with me.

Last edited:
Crows, especially jackdaws are reaching plague proportions.
A general decline in shooting and trapping coupled with vegans influence in politics means they are out of control.
It is a losing battle really, its just fortunate that it is extremely good fun.....oops no it is extremely vital and hate every minute of it!🤥
what is the difference between a row & a jackdaw? we don't have jackdaws in my area. never heard of the. and are they editable? thanks.

what is the difference between a row & a jackdaw? we don't have jackdaws in my area. never heard of the. and are they editable? thanks.
Western jackdaw Western jackdaw - Google Search
They are about half the size of a crow. They are very smart and can perform spectacular aerobatics when you go to shoot.
I'll send you some meat if you wish but I'll pass on eating the filthy things 😆

Last edited:
Britsmoothy, so shooting them are like shooting DOVES? I will take your word ans pass on your so generous offer for some supper of JACKDAW meat. do they mate with a crow? the reason that I have never seen them is because we are a pond apart. thank you for replying to my question.

Britsmoothy, so shooting them are like shooting DOVES? I will take your word ans pass on your so generous offer for some supper of JACKDAW meat. do they mate with a crow? the reason that I have never seen them is because we are a pond apart. thank you for replying to my question.
Similar to doves yes.
They only mate with their kind. They nest in tree hollows or cracks, old buildings and chimneys. In fact some partially bloked one of my chimneys last year until the 410 caught up with them!

We tried eating a crow one time after reading an article by Byron Dalrymple about how wonderful they were. Tasted like garbage smells but one guy with us ate the whole thing. Got that crow when he came in to attack my owl decoy. I could see that it might scare the crow as well. Looks like you did rather well. I’m going to have to dig out my Beretta and try it out again. Light loads seem like a sensible idea. (light weight might be a problem with recoil) I used Black MZ in my other shotguns but soon going to have to switch once my Black MZ supply dries up.

Great job!

For the UK farmer rooks and more so jackdaws cost them thousands of pounds and spread decease The three main farms that they go for are the dairy farms , the beef farms with their fat beast pens and the outdoor piggeries these three are visited all the year round . with good decoying some big bags are made at these farms , when the decoy pattern becomes bigger with more birds shot birds decoy more easily For the arable farmer the worst months are April and May with the spring drillings and late July when the barley is just on the turn I have seen a flock of 100 plus clean of half a acre in a day The carrion crow is the most troublesome at lambing time they pick out the eyes and tongue of newly born lambs ,not a pretty sight.
Feltwad

Good deal. Remember when I was a kid going crow hunting with my uncle and his owl and crow decoy setup. After a good hunt couldn’t lift my arm for a few days because of the sore shoulder. Used to take a modern rifle along for when they would hang up in trees out of shotgun range. Big puff of black feathers when hit.

Growing up in West Virginia we had some serious crow problems. The neighbor boys had a big owl in a cage. We would find a crows nest with young and hang the owl and cage in a tree. We would shoot until we ran out of shotgun shells.

One year we planted the corn and sweet corn twice. Then my uncle came in from Cleveland on vacation. He allowed as how we had a serious crow problem and said "I'll study on this". Next morning he asked my brother to soak about a pint of corn in warm water. Uncle started putting corn on top of fence posts. After the crows got used to eating corn off fence posts, uncle put a soaked grain of corn on a fish hook on each post with line tied off.

After a couple days of seeing crows hanging and flopping; the flock of crows disappeared.

Back in the 1950's and 60's in S.W. Pa. , huge flocks of wintering crows would fly back and forth between their rooking and feeding areas , morning and evening. One winter they rooked at night on the east side of the Monongahela River. For weeks when we had time to have sport with the crows early in the morning , at 4 AM , we would walk into the high river hill escarpment on the west side of the river and ambush the birds as they had to struggle to clear the hill top edge at daylight going back to feed. It was pass shooting at it's finest. I think due to West Nile Virus there will never be the 1000 bird flocks as were back then. As always , could the West Nile bird sickness have been an intentionally introduced plot to devastate our bird population ? Probably so...........oldwood

Back