• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cross Sticks (Stix)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All

What type/style of cross sticks do all of you like to use for buffalo-style matches ? Does anyone make a primitive style set for purchase ? Or is it just easier to make your own ?

Also, I remember seeing somewhere a single post iron rest, but can't remember where I saw it for sale ?

Thanks for any help.

Rick

Years ago I made a set out of 1x2 pine with a 1/4” diameter carriage bolt and wing nut to tighten the two pieces together. Not he, but we used them with 22s to hunt prairie dogs.

Most of the shoots I've been to , make you use their sticks. They say that way no one gets an added advantage.Big deal.

ricky said:
Also, I remember seeing somewhere a single post iron rest, but can't remember where I saw it for sale ?
I've used the wooden ramrod from my rifle as a monopod, seated, it worked very well.

Spence

I never thought much about sticks for a muzzleloader, but I don't know why not. I would use something from the woods -- or orchard trimmings -- though. I have heard of Spence's method used, but never put it to a test myself. Sam Fadala used to talk up his "moses stick" concept of making a lightweight walking stick from the seed stalk of one of the yuccas or agaves, trimmed a cured and used as a brace from standing position.

George said:
ricky said:
I've used the wooden ramrod from my rifle as a monopod, seated, it worked very well.

Spence

I did some shooting with my .45 Southern flintlock this weekend, using my wiping stick as support from a kneeling position. The target was a deer silhouette cut out from cardboard. Range was 150 yards.

Let me just say, the stick offered plenty good support and I'm loving this flinter. :shocked2:

Best regards, Skychief

BillinOregon said:
Sam Fadala used to talk up his "moses stick" concept of making a lightweight walking stick from the seed stalk of one of the yuccas or agaves, trimmed a cured and used as a brace from standing position.
Interesting that you mention that, never saw it brought up, before. I made one of those, once, padded top and all, and it worked as he said. Shoulder height, lightweight and handy, it steadied a gun very well.

I had a son in school in Arizona at the time, had him bring me a yucca stalk, and that was perfect for the job. I took it on a deer hunt deep in the woods, set it by a tree I was sitting under by a deer trail, rain chased me to the car and I forgot the stick. It's still standing there, I could never find it. I liked it well enough that I made another, didn't have yucca for that one, it's fine but not so lightweight.

Spence

A friend made a few topped with an antler Y (fork-horn). The two upper arms of the Y cradled the rifle and the wooden shaft was attached to the stem. Made a neat-looking walking stick and presumably worked well as a portable rifle rest...

How do you carry staff and gun at the same time afield. Slings were none to common on civilian guns at the time.
I live in the ozarks so I always seem to have a handy tree to use. But I love my walking sticks. However they spend more time hanging on the wall when I’m afield.

tenngun said:
How do you carry staff and gun at the same time afield[?]
Simple. First you saddle up a horse. Next you place your rifle in your left hand, muzzle pointed forward of you, grab reins and saddle horn in right hand, and mount. As the horse moves forward, lean left or right, take hold of walking staff, and pitch it near the fire for later use. Works every time. :haha:

Back