• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Crockett Cub .32

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phfinneuss

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Recently received a Pedersoli Crockett Cub .32 percussion 27'' rifle. The finished Deluxe model. From DGW -Dixie Gun Works-.
As it is, I can use the light, medium and heavy elongated balls from, , cast from the Colts molds I have. ,AND they load without a patch! They are sized just right. The heavy elongated (for the Colt improved pocket pistols) is 80 to the lb (78g, and around .328). I seem to recall this to be right. My third discharge, carried this elongated ball, charged with 1 1/8d (around 37g FFFg BP) 5in off center at 100yds, free standing with light gusting wind. This rifle is wonderful. Btw, I oil the ball with olive oil and swab between discharges with sam. I also use olive oil (and have been for d e c a d e s ) for cleaning and oiling. Pistols as well. I have nickel silver oilers for this.

Unfortunately, it proved itself in quick order. A skunk had been terrorizing me for that past week. I was working in the yard and there it was! At dusk, on the other end of the house. I ran inside, took the Crockett, went to the back, and at 12yds, carried a ball right through the skunk as it was trotting away. Squirming, I made the final dispatch from 5 yds with one shot from a Colts Pocket Pistol. Carrying the same ball.

Out and about, these two arms are quite a team! , and that s true enough.

Attachments

• 2020-09-13 11.29.03.jpg
    2020-09-13 11.29.03.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 141
Recently received a Pedersoli Crockett Cub .32 percussion 27'' rifle. The finished Deluxe model. From DGW -Dixie Gun Works-.
As it is, I can use the light, medium and heavy elongated balls from, , cast from the Colts molds I have. ,AND they load without a patch! They are sized just right. The heavy elongated (for the Colt improved pocket pistols) is 80 to the lb (78g, and around .328). I seem to recall this to be right. My third discharge, carried this elongated ball, charged with 1 1/8d (around 37g FFFg BP) 5in off center at 100yds, free standing with light gusting wind. This rifle is wonderful. Btw, I oil the ball with olive oil and swab between discharges with sam. I also use olive oil (and have been for d e c a d e s ) for cleaning and oiling. Pistols as well. I have nickel silver oilers for this.

Unfortunately, it proved itself in quick order. A skunk had been terrorizing me for that past week. I was working in the yard and there it was! At dusk, on the other end of the house. I ran inside, took the Crockett, went to the back, and at 12yds, carried a ball right through the skunk as it was trotting away. Squirming, I made the final dispatch from 5 yds with one shot from a Colts Pocket Pistol. Carrying the same ball.

Out and about, these two arms are quite a team! , and that s true enough.
Bet your back yard smells sweet!

Last edited by a moderator:
1- I was concerned about the spray. I wasn t about to get closer than 5 yards. As it was, the one follow through shot with the Colt did it. The Cub Rifle, good shooter. My third shot after just getting it, free standing with gusting wind, 5in off center at 100yds.

That night was stinky. The next day I buried the poor varmint.

2- Crockett Cub. Yeah, I locked onto that and it stuck. Right you are. It is a Cub Rifle.

3- Smelling sweet?! Not so much! All was fine until the day after the next, a skink smell! I investigated, followed the smell and there! The offending smell coming from the grave. Something dug up the dirt to the skunk, but that s all. I covered it up again.

thanks for the post. i also never use a patch in my .32. i use about 50 grains of blackhorn 209 powder, a shot gun primer in a mag spark nipple. i put the 50 grains down the barrel. then a 60 thousands wad then a felt wad. then a little lube in the bore. then i set a over sized ball, buckshot, on the muzzle tap it into the bore with a tiny rubber hammer. then down on the charge. easy to load. never fouls or strips out and with the load i use really snaps out their. very very accurate and with lots of range and power. thanks again for the post. hope other 32 gun owners go to patchless shooting. it is so much easier.

A
thanks for the post. i also never use a patch in my .32. i use about 50 grains of blackhorn 209 powder, a shot gun primer in a mag spark nipple. i put the 50 grains down the barrel. then a 60 thousands wad then a felt wad. then a little lube in the bore. then i set a over sized ball, buckshot, on the muzzle tap it into the bore with a tiny rubber hammer. then down on the charge. easy to load. never fouls or strips out and with the load i use really snaps out their. very very accurate and with lots of range and power. thanks again for the post. hope other 32 gun owners go to patchless shooting. it is so much easier.
Aghhhhhhhhh!

I am glad your 32 is shooting well. I use a patch with my 32s and can load very quickly and shoot with excellent accuracy. I made my own loading block and while hunting I simply dump a pre measured charge, place a pre patched ball from the block over the barrel and can start it with my ramrod then remove block and push it home, place nipple and pull trigger. If I am reading your post right thats a lot of steps and having to remove the cap on the mag spark nipple takes longer than standard nipple. I use 15 grains of powder so nearly 500 shots per pound. It sounds like your method works for you but I dont know if I would consider it easier.

One thing about tin cans, they require a pressure cooker and several hours to reach "tender". :dunno:

Oh, and I never shoot anything "unpatched" in any rifle.

Oy Sir! Your provacative remark, about , , unpatched. Clearly you have a message. What is it? I have fired this 27'' rifle bore .32 more than many times now unpatched, with great affect,- acurracy (100yds+) and and and .

What is it? Why the stressing of the subject?

Oy Sir! Your provacative remark, about , , unpatched. Clearly you have a message. What is it? I have fired this 27'' rifle bore .32 more than many times now unpatched, with great affect,- acurracy (100yds+) and and and .

What is it? Why the stressing of the subject?
I think hanshi was thinking of using patches with roundballs. Usually, a lead roundball is about .010" smaller than the bore and it uses a cloth patch to seal the bore and to grab and seal the rifling grooves.

Shooting elongated lead bullets on the other hand, except in special cases where thin paper is used for a patch, are shot without a patch.
These bullets must be very close to the bore diameter in size to work effectively. When the gun fires, the sudden acceleration causes the bullet to swell up in size causing the increased diameter to engage the rifling grooves.

It sounds like you are shooting elongated bullets so, no patch is needed.

again i dont use patches for my 32, i use a over sized buckshot tapped into the bore. no leading no stripping, very very accurate. some just like to argue. then i guess all cap and ball revolvers should be patched. sometimes on sites like this one trys to share some knowledge and those who just love to argue come out of the wood work. thank God i live very rural and dont run into this type often in my life. if i do, at my age now i say nothing and dont engage them.

Back