• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Crocket rifle debut

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I finally had a decent day health-wise and decided to break the new off of the Traditions Crocket rifle. I shot at 25 yards using Swiss 3F and a mixture of Hornady round balls and some round balls I cast using a Lee mold. I started out at 15 grains using some pre-lubed .018 pillow-ticking patches I got from TOW. My initial shots were a little loose and crazy with a wide pattern. My neighbor came down to participate since he had never shot an ML, I spent a lot of time explaining the process and let him shoot some. I didn't try to shoot too well with him there since he struggled with shooting. After he left, I increased the powder charge to 20 grains and got more consistent groupings. The best group of four shots was about 1 1/2" but I think I can shrink that more with more practice provided my right arm and hand isn't shaking too much. All in all, it's been a great day shooting my new rifle and I was tickled my cast round balls worked so well. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
I inherited one of those from my Uncle's estate, never fired.
Love the way it shoots and being a .32, it's easy on the wallet to shoot. I think of it as a 19th century .22.

Well, I finally had a decent day health-wise and decided to break the new off of the Traditions Crocket rifle. I shot at 25 yards using Swiss 3F and a mixture of Hornady round balls and some round balls I cast using a Lee mold. I started out at 15 grains using some pre-lubed .018 pillow-ticking patches I got from TOW. My initial shots were a little loose and crazy with a wide pattern. My neighbor came down to participate since he had never shot an ML, I spent a lot of time explaining the process and let him shoot some. I didn't try to shoot too well with him there since he struggled with shooting. After he left, I increased the powder charge to 20 grains and got more consistent groupings. The best group of four shots was about 1 1/2" but I think I can shrink that more with more practice provided my right arm and hand isn't shaking too much. All in all, it's been a great day shooting my new rifle and I was tickled my cast round balls worked so well. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
I pray you may find relief and you will. Hang in there. You shoot better than I even when you are not trying very hard. You will get your groups smaller. Dale

Back