• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crisco over the chambers, pros and cons

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just from observing how beef fat behaves on my cast iron skillets, I think beef tallow would be a good component in a black powder lube. It’s sticky, hard to remove even with fairly hot water, and goes solid at room temp. It’s not very flexible, so I think a mix with beeswax might be good. But it’s protective on my skillets, so it should be protective on a muzzleloader too.
I use it in Minie lube with Beeswax.

I use cream of wheat over my powder if I’m being serious with targets. Otherwise just powder and ball. Never had a chain fire in 30 years of shooting. Grease over the ball is a melty mess and does nothing beneficial. If you’re shaving a ring of lead when you seat the ball that’s all that’s needed.

I don’t remember having any problems with Crisco as a lube and sealant in my guns. Yeah it tended to get blown out on that first shot in a revolver but some of it stayed in there around the bullets though. Out here in the summer you are not likely going to do much shooting when the temps are exceeding 100 degrees Fahrenheit. So melting isn’t a issue. But if you do shoot out here in the summer using something that doesn’t melt is a good idea.

Pietta Rocks!
I used to think they were junk back in the early 2000s , I had them that had out of alignment chambers, over running the bolt stops, peened up wedge slots , etc and Uberti was "the good ones" . But now the tables kinda turned and Piettas are the out of the box shooters now and they also look better, the finish is on par with Uberti now. That Pietta Dance and Brothers shot a baseball sized group at 50 yards , one handed on my very first cylinder with it

Lube of any kind over the ball just gets blown out of the bore and doesn't get an adequate opportunity to mix with the fouling that's freshly deposited in the bore with each shot. Lube behind the ball, however, mixes with the fouling as it's deposited in the bore and keeps it soft.
First off, I’m not trying to be wishy washy since I’ve been agreeing with all the previous post on using over ball lube, which I do. But I also still use a lubed over powder wads and have for 40 years. I don’t shoot my revolvers a lot but I’ve never had any problems with fouling while shooting. But again, I rarely shoot more than 5 cylinders per gun. It’s been about a month since I shot a revolver so I had planned to try a straight powder & ball load with no lube top or bottom. I’m going to have see for myself how that works because I can see merit in all the other techniques. Could be that it really doesn’t make that much difference and could be it does.

Last edited:
First off, I’m not trying to be wishy washy since I’ve been agreeing with all the previous post on using over ball lube, which I do. But I also still use a lubed over powder wads and have for 40 years. I don’t shoot my revolvers a lot but I’ve never had any problems with fouling while shooting. But again, I rarely shoot more than 5 cylinders per gun. It’s been about a month since I shot a revolver so I had planned to try a straight powder & ball load with no lube top or bottom. I’m going to have see for myself how that works because I can seevmerit in all the other techniques. Could be that it really doesn’t make that much difference and could be it does.
Take a read of this article on loading techniques and the discussion of fouling management:
http://geojohn.org/BlackPowder/bps3Mobile.htmlBelow is an excerpt from the article. This guy's articles are really engaging:
Screenshot_20221101-202220_Chrome.jpg

View attachment 172118

I figured , after shooting with nothing over the chambers all summer, I'd give this old tub of Crisco I found in my garage another shot

View attachment 172119

Mastering the right amount of "finger dab" takes a little practice. It's sloppy and it gets all over the gun. Plus , luckily I wore "range pants " for constantly wiping my hands off on.

View attachment 172120

30 grain charges in both of these guns, they kept going through 5 cylinders each with the Crisco but still got a little gummy. It did keep the fouling softer. The bore was way easier to clean after shooting too.

View attachment 172121

As a plus it gets all over the inside of holsters and will condition them as you reholster the guns.

I honestly don't know if it's not just simply easier to take a break after 3 or 4 cylinders of "dry chamber" shooting and take a minute to break the guns down and wipe the cylinder face , forcing cone and arbor with a baby wipe. Then relube the arbor.

I have used Tallow before and it's easier to work with, but I only use it with Walkers and Dragoons that foul up quicker

Lube over the chamber mouths is unnecessarily messy, and just not needed.
Cutting or buying some 1/8” felt wads that have been soaked in melted lube with the excess removed works better, and cuts down all the extra grease related stuff you have have nearby when shooting.
Greasing the chambers is mostly a 1960’s thing started by shooters who knew a little about shooting percussion revolvers, but not quite enough.
I would ask the question “ why do you feel the need to put grease over the chamber mouths?”
I think I can anticipate your answer, and already have a couple of reasons to refute it.
This has been discussed many times here.

Lube over the chamber mouths is unnecessarily messy, and just not needed.
Cutting or buying some 1/8” felt wads that have been soaked in melted lube with the excess removed works better, and cuts down all the extra grease related stuff you have have nearby when shooting.
Greasing the chambers is mostly a 1960’s thing started by shooters who knew a little about shooting percussion revolvers, but not quite enough.
I would ask the question “ why do you feel the need to put grease over the chamber mouths?”
I think I can anticipate your answer, and already have a couple of reasons to refute it.
This has been discussed many times here.
Go up three posts, and you'll see something you and I might have already said on the issue.

Edit: Four posts

Eons ago when I had my first BP revolver, a no-name .31 Baby Dragoon copy, I did the Crisco over the chamber because the guy who knew more, (barely), than I did said it was necessary. Now all I have is a lubed wad behind the ball, and a shaved lead ring after seating the ball, and it seems to work quite well so far.

Back