Crisco for Round Ball?

Discussion in 'Flintlock Rifles' started by Jeremy Bays, Dec 4, 2019 at 5:24 PM.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Dec 4, 2019 at 5:24 PM #1

Jeremy Bays

Jeremy Bays

Jeremy Bays

32 Cal

i am new to muzzle loading. I have a .50 cal Kentucky rifle by Traditions. I am using .490 ball and pillow ticking (.015) patch. I was wondering about lubing the patch with crisco. Is that an issue?
    Thanks
    Jeremy Bays

2. Dec 4, 2019 at 5:29 PM #2

Richard Konish

Richard Konish

Richard Konish

32 Cal

Crisco was used over the ball in percussion revolvers to prevent chain fires, but not sure about patched RB. Expect it will work fine but be careful to get the unsalted version. Someone is sure to chime in on this as well as formulas for mixing with other things to make it work better.

3. Dec 4, 2019 at 5:40 PM #3

Billy-by-gosh

Billy-by-gosh

Billy-by-gosh

32 Cal

Hi there,
    I can't help but say this was the first load I tried in my early ML/BP days. The rifle was loaded with 65 grains of 2F and a patched ball using Crisco on .10 patches. It worked fairly well, but accuracy was was mediocre. HOWEVER, I had to stop hunting with it, due to causing brush fires in the undergrowth! Sure halts the fun when you have to hurriedly stamp out 2 or 3 burning patches of grass and weeds after each shot.

4. Dec 4, 2019 at 6:36 PM #4

Erwan

Erwan

Erwan

36 Cl.

Crisco is what we call here "Végétaline", that can works on revolver but itsn't the best for the patches.
    The firs time I was shooting it was with "mutton tallow" but it stinks. Now I simply use pure Neatsfoot oil (three drops on a patch the day before shooting) and it works well, may be that one other stuff could be much better, but for me this is the best one and this not to expensive stuff...

RiverRat likes this.
  5. Dec 4, 2019 at 7:01 PM #5

rafterob

rafterob

rafterob

62 Cal.

Crisco works fine and is easy to get. Go ahead and start with that. You can add a little bee's wax to it to firm it up, especially for summer use when it can be pretty messy. I used Crisco for a few years but found it bothersome because of the greasy mess it would create as well as fouling build up issues. It had no affect on my accuracy. I have moved on to water with a small amount of Dawn for range use and spit patch if in the field.

6. Dec 4, 2019 at 7:16 PM #6

M. De Land

M. De Land

M. De Land

75 Cal.

I've never found anything better than winter grade windshield wash fluid for patch lube at any time of year. It is comprised of black powder friendly ingredients, water , alcohol and soap. It lubes the patch for the trip up bore (soap), dries out fast (alcohol) and dissolves fouling (water).

Pete G likes this.
  7. Dec 4, 2019 at 7:45 PM #7

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.

The truth is most everything can work as a patch lubricant. Grabbing a lube from the kitchen will likely be better served by selecting the olive or canola oil. For patch there is no need now to mix it with any wax. Murphy's Oil Soap is good for many of the same reasons that Winter Windex works. By the way, spit is a traditional patch lube. You will eventually settle on a lube that works for you.

8. Dec 4, 2019 at 8:02 PM #8

Kansas Jake

Kansas Jake

Kansas Jake

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

I often used spit if at the range and will be shooting pretty quickly. For hunting I used crisco years ago. I’m now working with Dutch’s system.

9. Dec 4, 2019 at 8:27 PM #9

longcruise

longcruise

longcruise

70 Cal.

Crisco is ok but don't overdo it. Try smearing an even coat on the patches and then hit them in the microwave a bit. I cut at the muzzle so I did them in strips. They leave quite a bit of fouling but its soft and easy to wipe away.

With any lube there is such a thing as too much or too little. You just need to find what works. I have tried and used dozens of lubes over the years and found that if You fiddle with them enough they are all good. So that being the case, the old axiom "keep it simple" seems to apply with lubes.

10. Dec 4, 2019 at 10:50 PM #10

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Lyman’s Black powder ballistics book had crisco used as it’s basic universal testing lube. I think most of us have used at at one time or another.
    Is it the ‘best’?
    That’s a never ending thread.

11. Dec 4, 2019 at 11:20 PM #11

Treestalker

Treestalker

Treestalker

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

Shot a squirrel at distance one time, using Crisco lube. Just peeled the skullcap off and he hit the ground with brains fried up ready to eat. You should have seen the race between my dog Percolator and myself over the choice vittles!

12. Dec 5, 2019 at 12:24 AM #12

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

69 Cal.

It works, It has a low melting point though and tends to leave the barrel "wet" in warm weather.
    I prefer olive oil mixed with a little beeswax over Crisco. but it will work in a pinch.

Half the fun of muzzleloading is finding out what things work best for you, and doing your own thing.

P.S. There are hundreds of different lubes that guys use.