• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Crimean War 1851 Colt Navy Rig?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
20200117_140309.jpg

Screenshot_20200201-171829_Chrome.jpg

My Uberti "London Navy" seems like it was intended to be a reproduction of the 5,000 Colt 1851's made at Colt's London factory for use in the Crimean War, with the steel triggerguards.

Since British Officers supplied their own sidearms?
It seems these Colts were for senior NCO's.

I'd like to put together a "rig" for this pistol , to go with my Parker-Hale Enfields . I like to have a sidearm to go with my favorite long arms.

Does anyone know what kind of holster would have been used with these? I assume the "Snake" buckle belt would have been used. I already have kind of a generic black cartridge box that would hold 3 packs of .36 cartridges. Not looking for a 100% re-enactor grade setup just something I can use at the range. I can't seem to find info on the holsters.

I don't know about the "rig" but, when Colt opened his factory in England they made his typical 1851 Navy with the brass trigger guard and grip strap.
The English didn't like it. They wanted to see iron in those locations so Colt changed the grip and strap to iron and that continued for the entire length of the time the Colt factory made revolvers there.

Same cross draw (left hand holster worn on right hip) flap holster used everywhere else?
Or was that an exclusive "American Military" thing?

The charge of the light brigade comes to mind. Not that they were armed with this pistol necessarily, but that war, and a British rock song about it.

The holster was probably cross draw. I say this because I made up a holster for my Remington and found that I wasn't tall enough to easily pull the pistol out of the holster on my right side with my right arm. ( I'm 5'10") I don't think anyone shorter would appreciate having to work that hard to get the pistol into action. Those long barrels take a lot of room to unlimber unless you wear them gunslinger style low on the hip.

I found an original holster for these a few years ago. You can see a discussion thread on the British Militaria Forums. I passed the holster to our host over there which he can keep in the Crimean case of the museum at Bisley.
Initially I thought it was for the Adams or Tranter but Bill said Colt, and I tried a London Navy and it fitted beautifully.
BO -> is Board of Ordnance, ceased in 1856.
Holster_1.jpg
Holster_2.jpg
Holster_3.jpg
Holster_4.jpg

Back