• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Crest butt plate fear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow am I glad I read this, first muzzle loader will be delivered monday...I would beat the manure out of myself shooting modern style. This makes so much sense...thank you gang!

Helpful to me too. I have two TC Hawken's to try out....but with me they seem to steady with tip of buttplate aimed at armpit anyway.

Could be the P90X workout I've done most every day for 18 weeks. I am much more toned now, especially in the shoulders and biceps/triceps area. Degree of toning may steer the buttplate into place.

The pain that can be inflicted by crescent butt plates is no joke. By the time you get up to .50 it isn't pleasant if you load heavy. I had a .50 with a "medium" crescent rear end and from the bench it left the shoulder bruised and sore. Yes, it did hurt when fired from a bench but the bruising/aching really showed up the next day. I wasn't about to try it prone! But from offhand and field positions the recoil wasn't noticeable; which was great since it was a hunting rifle for deer. I own a couple of rifles with those "quarter moon" butts, but they are a .32 and a .45 and are kitty cats. Other than wearing a padded shirt or thick jacket the only thing I can come up with is the traditional shoot-from-the-arm hold.

the GPR looks like it has a decent moon crest on the end of it, its .54cal, so, crook-of-the -arm it is!

I’ve found no good solution for the beating I take from a narrow crescent buttplate with heavy recoil in certain positions- prone and off the bench. And I’m no newbie and have tried everything everyone suggests. Try shooting a .54 Hawken stoutly loaded prone uphill. I don’t care where you hold it so long as it’s against skin. It’s going to bite like a horse. Because it is impossible to get the crescent seated anywhere.
I had a Leman rifle. .54 and feather light. Very narrow butt , 15/16 .54 barrel 35” long. Of beat the manure out of me. It was just a little more narrow then a Hawken but that 1/4 or 3/8 inch made a ton of difference and I had been shooting crescent butts for thirty years at the time.

Back