• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Creating a reliability issue..??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Steele

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm using Dry Patch material (7:1 water/Ballistol)in my 40 cal. Flintlock SMR.
I'm shooting 40 gns. 3f Goex and a .395 RB.
I have been wiping between shots with a .010" wiping patch, "just damp" with a Moose Milk concoction using a wiping jag that has been reduced in diameter to prevent pushing the crud in the barrel down to rest on the breech face and potentially clog the vent.
Yesterday, my shooting session started out great. Good score, no issues. I ran out of the .010" wiping patch material and began using some that measures .015". EVERYTHING else stayed the same. As I continued shooting, I began to notice a vaguely discernible VERY slight delay in the rifle's ignition. At the same time, my scores went downhill dramatically...from 8-9-10, to 5-6-7's. (25 yd. offhand on the NMLRA target). To cap it off...I also began to experience failure of the main charge to ignite unless I "picked the vent" REAL deep.
It seems pretty obvious (to me at least) that the increase in thickness of just .005" was sufficient to cause fouling to begin accumulating on my breechface. The result of which started to manifest itself in slower ignition, eventually leading to complete failure to fire.
My purpose in posting this is to inquire if other folks have had similar issues. The resolution would seem to be to either find more of the .010" material, or further reduce the diameter of my wiping jag.
Have any of you other flintlock shooters had similar experiences..???
Thanks.

YES, and with my .40 too. I have found that wiping with a damp rag with water, and instead of a jag I now use an "eye", and prick the touch-hole before each shot, has pretty much eliminated my flash-in-the-pan problem.

LD

As I shoot more I end up getting a flash in the pan and it reminds me to pick the vent really deep with a repurposed nipple pick. I do before and after loading. I don't have mishaps when I remember to do this. I especially have an issue with a newer rifle that has a really small vent hole.

I've also taken to using a really thin patch, like the ones of that harder material that's used on those unmentionable everyday weapons.

Of course, I'm green as all heck too but that works for me so far.

The more powder you use in the pan, the quicker the vent is to foul which = ignition issues.

Most people tend to over prime the pan, and mound the powder over the vent which is a :nono:

I prime from the horn with 3F and no fancy primers. A very thin layer of powder is all that's required to jet the blast into the breech for ignition.

Been using a little spring loaded deal and it throws a little half pea size pile. With a large Siler I'm thinking I can get away with much less. Thanks for the tip. Going more and more traditional and am going to try straight from the horn next range trip. (Pouring from a horn is a whole different animal lol).

I find that picking that vent deep gets really fast ignition. Understanding why Doddrdge said it was a big deal if somebody forgot their little wire

You shouldn't have to pick the vent to China for reliable ignition... try less powder away from the pan.

Personally I can attest to not having to pick the vent, when I do its more of a habitual habit than need. Priming from a horn really isn't a different animal either, just a different device that doesn't supply a measured charge. As with anything, it can draw into a safety aspect as well. Always, before loading a charge or priming make sure you have cleared your rifle of any remaining smoldering embers.

I'll give it a try. One less step would be cool. Thanks man! As far as the embers, I'm a between shot wiper with a dampened patch. If that doesn't do it, I take forever to load purposely to get down a rhythm anyway. Having seen the smoking vent hole after every shot, definitely mindful of that ember possibility.

Try leaving the pick in the hole while you load. I made a long "pick" for this purpose out of wire from a shirt hanger that has a long thin taper to reach almost all the way across the bore i.d. When I leave this in place my flash hole can't plug and I get no failures to fire.

Certainly will work

I actually stuff the quill end of a feather in my vent, not to clear it but to seal it from the nasties until I'm ready to fire.

Any residual moisture from your patch can collect towards the breech end causing issues as well... very lightly moistened is all you need. :thumbsup:

Have you tried the judicious application of a breech plug scraper? It should at least tell you if buildup on the plug is the issue.

Col. Batguano said:
How wide is the bull on a standard 25 yard NMLRA target?

Don't believe there is a standard NMLRA 25 yard rifle target (pistol yes, rifle no) , so he's probably going to have to tell you which one of the dozen or more NMLRA targets he was using.

Latest posts

Back