• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Creating a muzzleloader club

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an update on the muzzle loading club. It may not take hold. Less people showed up last meeting. We are skipping December meeting do to low attendance and I have a guided muzzleloading hunt at the same time. I will have the January meeting if I don't have the turn out, I may try again in the spring to see if I can get people to show up.

The Yuma Teritorial Rifles shoots on the Adair range the first and third Saturdays of the month. They get there around 0800. On the first Saturday they have what they call a meeting, the third Sat. they just have some sort of match. It's all very loose. They have a twenty dollar dues per year to buy targets and maintain the range and gets you a key to the range. Not a lot of locals are in the club, mostly are winter visitors. Small club, maybe ten people at one of the shoots. They do sponsor a rendezvous every January there at their range.

Just an update on the muzzle loading club. It may not take hold. Less people showed up last meeting...

Sorry. I haven't read the entire thread.

Are you pushing for "Period Correct"/"Historically Accurate"?
That will alienate many.
To say nothing of increasing costs. An affordable used TC Hawken/Renegade or Lyman GPR, or a new/used CVA "Kentucky" rifle, for example are not PC/HA.

Do you accecpt modern inline rifles or insist on only traditional side locks?

Do/will you accecpt percussion sidelocks at your shoots?
(Not everyone (including me) can afford a flintlock)

What days and times are your meetings? Are they convenient for those that work 2nd or 3rd shift during the week?
Admittedly holding meetings/shoots only on the weekends will most likely "irritate" the cartridge shooters who cannot shoot on weekdays.

It may not take hold. Less people showed up last meeting.

Our club was seasonal April-September. If your members aren't telling you why they aren't showing up, then one of your problems is obvious.

You should be surveying your members instead of us.

Our club had "end of year" prizes and trophies for members based on their years worth of targets. At every meeting we shot a target for score. At the end of the season we'd have a big pot-luck and give prizes and trophies or awards to shooters based on the accumulative score.

Awards for,
High score overall
Most improved
Best female shooter
Best junior shooter
worst shooter, etc.
There were also "Boobie " awards given out for dry-balling, breaking ramrods, shooting someones target etc.

We would also have a blanket shoot one month of the year. Blanket shoots are great, everyone wins and everyone gets something.

At almost every meeting we would have a card shoot or something for fun, people like to win money.

The goal of forming a club should be to have fun, there should be lots of camaraderie.

Sorry. I haven't read the entire thread.

Are you pushing for "Period Correct"/"Historically Accurate"?
That will alienate many.
To say nothing of increasing costs. An affordable used TC Hawken/Renegade or Lyman GPR, or a new/used CVA "Kentucky" rifle, for example are not PC/HA.

Do you accecpt modern inline rifles or insist on only traditional side locks?

Do/will you accecpt percussion sidelocks at your shoots?
(Not everyone (including me) can afford a flintlock)

What days and times are your meetings? Are they convenient for those that work 2nd or 3rd shift during the week?
Admittedly holding meetings/shoots only on the weekends will most likely "irritate" the cartridge shooters who cannot shoot on weekdays.
Percussion side-locks should definitely be on the menu. Many traditional types don't like the inlines; too much like a modern ctg. gun. Each has to decide for themselves; there's been ongoing discussion of this question in the NMLRA world, too. Good luck.

Many traditional types don't like the inlines; too much like a modern ctg.
I won't can't argue with that.
I've never handled or shot a inline. Nor do I have the least desire to do so.

I have shot traditional's for years. (no flintlock though) I would not ban those who choose to use a inline, no more would I someone using a traditional percussion. (unlike some who feel the muzzleloader only season should be restricted to flintlocks)

Most states (from whay I understand) put limits on the BP arms allowed during the ML seasons. Idaho for example prohibits pelitized powder, 209 primers, and requite the cap (on percussion arms) to ne at least partly visible when the arm is cocked and ready to fire. They also ban scopes, electronic devices of all kinds/types. Flintlock, Percussion Cap and Musket Caps are the only allowed ignition systems. Loose black powder or faux black powder such as Pyrodex, and a ball (or conical) with-in 0.01 inches of the bore diameter are also required. Sabots and gas checked bullets are specifically prohibited as well.

I got a permission to start a muzzleloader club at one of my local sportsman. Not overly sure where to start. We have a shooting range we will use and there is enough room to set up a woods walk. We have a very nice club house that can hold a few hundred people. Any suggestions on how to how to proceed? I already run a disabled Vet fishing rodeo there so I do have some experience with running events but I am thinking a club and a event will be two different things. Any advice would be great. I did send a email to my NMLRA rep to see if he can give me advice. Waiting for a reply.
Ask the NMLRA if they could send a letter announcing your club or whatever it turns out to be. You provide the letter with all the details, and they could send it to members within certain ZIP codes. I wish you success!

You have to remember that not all members can attend every week Family commitments must come 1st. I have around 75 members in my Club just in the Black Powder section alone. I usually have 8-15 out in nice weather. A lot of good humor, and some great gun builders among them as well. I have been fortunate enough to be their Chair person for 7 years now. I get the nice chair by the fireplace all winter. Thats helps a lot in our winters here.

We have a old shack for a clubhouse and meet twice every week. Weds morning and Sunday mornings. Some Sundays we do Bacon and Eggs on a Coleman stove outside under our porch area. We have a shooting team and are North American Postal shoot Champions for the last 4 years. We host 2 large shoots in the spring as well.

Tanker, hang in there ! It may take time and patience to grow, Consider setting up a table at the next gun show or outdoor type events and promote the idea . Many may like the idea and a few will be serious. Try and set up some type of "open to public" fun shoot where people can observe and even try. It takes lots of serious involvement of a few determined ML shooters.
I have knowledge of only one local club, the Alamo ML club in San Antonio. It was going back before 1975 when I first encountered it and it is still going today , same location. I was secretary for a while before moving away to Montana . Is their a state ML association there ? You have been given lots of good info on the national level. Id suggest NOT being to inclusive ( only period correct etc) that can be done in different shooting events and matches. GOOD LUCK !

Back