Crazy Crow trekker half boots? / Review

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Kansas Kid

32 Cal.
Reaction score
So I just received my size 11 boots and am pretty impressed that theirs room for my orthotics and hammer toes. Width is also good and are quite comfortable.

Now we all know the hard leather soles are a death trap and I’m not even gonna risk it. So I see HF has self adhesive backed rubber tread plate that I am considering but figure I better check for maybe better ideas here also.

tenngun

Cannon
Reaction score
I have a pair of fugawes. I had a rubber tread sole put on at a shoe repair shop. It was $30 or $35, well worth it. Mine were in the tan color and not the black, and the sole stuck on matched the color. Pretty much invisible from ten feet away. I sit on the ground a lot on the trail or at an event and cross legged so my soles are exposed.

hulk

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Kansas Kid, do you normally wear a size 11 in modern shoes/boots? I ask because I have been eyeing those boots as well but not sure if I should go size 11 or 12

Kansas Kid

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Yes a 10.5 to 11 is my normal shoe-boot size. I have used these a fair amount this year and have no complaints.

hulk

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I normally wear 11 to 11.5. So I wasnt sure if I should go with an 11 or 12. Are the bottoms pretty slick?

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I took my Fugawees to a "shoe hospital" and had them put a second sole on them. Then I applied hobnails. Traction is good on anything but linoleum in a modern supermarket....beware the linoleum if you hobnail anything....like walking barefoot on glass covered with hydraulic fluid. :confused:

LD

Kansas Kid

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Mine are plenty big but your call. Yes soles are hard slick leather but but so far the self adhesive rubber tread plate from harbor freight is staying put and traction is good.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
In my case I needed the thicker soles for the nails. Otherwise they'd poke my feet. I found that even rubber heeled shoes with leather soles were fine on modern surfaces, but for use in fields or going up or down inclines, it was like walking on grease. (Only slightly less slick than on linoleum with the nails in place)

LD

hulk

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Thanks Kansas Kid for the info. Will probably order a pair. Have you done any waterproofing on them or just left them as is?

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.
Reaction score
The boots are correct. Certainly correct to the late 1780's. You might want to go directly to the Fugawee web site. Sizes go up to 15. I seem to recall that someone sent tracings of his foot to get the proper sized shoe. The do have tight toe boxes and getting the widest width is a good idea, especially for the straight last shoes.

Jfoster

36 Cal.
Reaction score
The boots are correct. Certainly correct to the late 1780's. You might want to go directly to the Fugawee web site. Sizes go up to 15. I seem to recall that someone sent tracings of his foot to get the proper sized shoe. The do have tight toe boxes and getting the widest width is a good idea, especially for the straight last shoes.
Excellent. Thank you. Would these be seen between 1800-1840 as well?

spudnut

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Ive taken leather soled muklucs ,some shredded 1/4 inch rope and glued the fibers with shoe goo .the bottom looks like shredded wheat but no slip

Stophel

75 Cal.
Reaction score
I tried the Fugawee boots (two different versions) several times, several sizes.... a dismal failure. Their sizing is beyond bizarre, and the toe draws down to nothin'.. There simply is NO "toe box", with no room for your toes at all. Wretched things. Frankly, I would not recommend anyone wasting their time with them.

The Crazy Crow boots are not big enough for me (naturally), and since I can find NOTHING that fits me nor suits me, now my 18th century footwear is a pair of Altama black combat boots.

Stophel

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Lace up boots go way back, BUT they are not something that was terribly common through the 18th century. 18th century images showing them are EXTREMELY LIMITED. In fact, I can think of no other images beyond like two that I have of the Salzburger Exulanten in 1733 with lace up boots. Later English/American images with what appear to be boots are generally shoes with the common low top gaiters/spatterdashes.

Spence10

Cannon
Reaction score
Lace up boots go way back, BUT they are not something that was terribly common through the 18th century. 18th century images showing them are EXTREMELY LIMITED. In fact, I can think of no other images beyond like two that I have of the Salzburger Exulanten in 1733 with lace up boots.
I can add one to your collection, Stophel. It's The Labourer's Luncheon No. 8, by George Morland, engraved by Christian Josi, published Dec. 20, 1797.
The Labourer's Luncheon No 8.jpg
Blowing it up and lightening it a bit clearly shows laced half-boots. You can also see that the laces are wrapped around the top of the boot before being tied.
The Labourer.jpg

Spence

Latest posts

Group Builder