• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Craig witte flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan

32 Cal
Reaction score
Good morning all

A local shop has a C witte marked flintlock. The gun has no other markings. lots of carving on the stock a brass patch box. I’ve only seen photos but it appears to be a smoothbore but not sure. Has a rear sight and front blade. I am looking for info on the builder and his guns. The price is more than fair but I’ve never heard of the builder. Any info would be much appreciated

There are many firearms that are built by people no one has heard of. When I don't know the name of the builder, I look at the fit of the parts. Then I look to see who made the lock, barrel and triggers. If the parts are assembled in a workman like fashion and quality parts have been used, then it's time for a simple assessment of function. How does the lock spark? Is the barrel clean with no bulges? Are the triggers crisp? Determine the caliber. Put a light or endoscope down the barrel. Does the gun fit well to your shoulder? Do you have the uncontrollable urge to bring it home?

@Ryan, I hope some members here are familiar with C Witte. Some of my most accurate muzzleloaders have no markings to identify the maker. I may know who made the lock or barrel, but I do not know anything about who made it. Sounds as if you have found a nice flint smooth rifle. Pretty desirable, but I would need some pictures or hands on evaluation.

I’m
Moving this to the flintlock rifle thread. Turns out the rifle in question is a .62 caliber rifled flintlock. Thankyou for your tips

Back