• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cracked Stock Toe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just received my Late Lancaster built by TVM, but bought used, and stock toe cracked in transit. I am in Baton Rouge, LA. Does anyone know of a competent stock repair guy nearby, or should I just ship back to seller? I suppose TVM could fix it.
IMG_20190412_121715862.jpg
IMG_20190412_121728292.jpg

I would contact the seller to see what can be worked out. Maybe he insured the shipment? It's a relatively easy fix since you have the pieces though. Take the BP and TP off, get some glue in the break, clamp it in place, and wipe the squeeze out off and it will be almost invisible.

I would also, while toe plate is off, drill a couple of 1/16 holes dipp some 1/16 doweling in glue and tap in to the holes. Then before returning the plate smear a little wax in the inlet put the plate on.
You want what you pay for and neither you nor the seller deserve to suffer for the shippers mistake.
‘If it were mine “ has nothing to do with it being yours. That said I would personally opt for a repair and enjoy the living history of the gun.
However, little imperfections no one else can see, can mock you every time you pick up the gun. And you have a right to what you paid for.

What the Colonel said, I think if you're careful and glue it up it will look fine. Besides, it's a Used gun, so it just adds to it's character; you can relate how you kept a wild hog from making sushi out of your legs by swatting him away with your rifle butt while you were trying to climb the only apology for a tree in 1/2 mile!

The best clamp would be a couple of screws under the TP, and that will also provide reinforcement if you grind or file off the heads. Just be careful not to crank on it too hard, or else you might split the little busted piece.

I understand your frustration though. You want what you paid for. The problem is that you posted your question on the builders forum, and asked a bunch of builders about a fix (more than one of us here has had to fix a broken toe), and the answer may be properly sited in a forum more centered around the central issue, which is more one of best commerce practices.

Best of luck however you elect to pursue this.

Well, I am probably capable of the fix, but I really do not have the proper tools at this time. The shipper does not insure, just takes his chances. Said to get a quote and he would send me a check. I think I have found a local smith to do the work. Thanks for all the input.

Does anyone know of a competent stock repair guy nearby said:
That break appears to be a very simple fix. You should not have to fix as it was not your fault. So decide what you want to do. I personally do not like to mess around and wait for other to fix something that is minor. Remove the toe, but leave the butt on. It will keep the repair in alignment on one side. Check the fit without glue and or remove any inside sliver/silvers that will keep it from compressing tight. Good old Elmers wood glue will do the whole fix. The secret is to compress it with a good clamp. Get a clamp that has rubber or wood for contacting the repair wood. Wipe any glue ooze after clamping with a water damp cloth. JMO
Flintlocklar

I dropped it off at an old school gunsmith today. I lucked out. $40 and I can pick up in a couple of days. He will do a much better job than I could. He also works on vintage guns, so I have more work for him.

You sure the gun was damaged in shipment? The toe plate and butt plate look undamaged. I would think some kind of impact in that area should at least show on the brass some how like it being askew or slightly bent from an impact. Did you see the gun before he shipped it to you? How are you to know it wasn't already like that and just not mentioned? Sounds like an easy omission of a defect on the part of the seller to me. I'd send the gun back and ask for a refund, although that would probably cause issues if the seller won't take it back.

$40 sounds pretty reasonable. If the guy will write you a $40 check and you're happy then all's well that ends well.

Sounds like you are dealing with an honest seller, you did well.

One time I bought a vac off ebay, I payed for it with PayPal, the seller was giving a refund to another customer but put the refund in my account by mistake. I quickly brought this mistake to his attention and fired off another payment to the him.

He probably would have kissed my feet in gratitude had he been close and said my kind of honesty gave him faith in the world after all. In my circle that is what we do, unfortunately mine is a small circle these days and getting smaller.

Sounds like you are dealing with an honest seller, you did well.

One time I bought a vac off ebay, I payed for it with PayPal, the seller was giving a refund to another customer but put the refund in my account by mistake. I quickly brought this mistake to his attention and fired off another payment to the him.

He probably would have kissed my feet in gratitude had he been close and said my kind of honesty gave him faith in the world after all. In my circle that is what we do, unfortunately mine is a small circle these days and getting smaller.

Integrity is what you do when nobody is looking.

Back