• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cracked Stock Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a crack in my T/C stock. It doesn't bother me too much, as I don't shoot heavy loads out of the .45 calibre rifle. If it ever does get worse, then I will do some manner of repair. Look at the sig picture. Now that's a repair. The stock was in two pieces. Some epoxy and some brass was used to fix it 35 years ago. It still works very much good to this day.

Lot of good suggestions. I like to watch gunsmith Mark Novak on YouTube. He has a couple of stock repairs among his videos. So go to YouTube and enter "mark novak stock repair" at the top, and make a selection. If nothing else it's entertaining, and if you get one idea on your stock repair it's worth while. G/L

My question, is it safe to shoot like this,
I would say yes, the gun is safe to shoot as is. The tang screw that passes through the stock and is threaded into the trigger plate will clamp the stock together so there shouldn’t be catastrophic failure. Keep the tang screw snug and there is a good chance that the cracking will not get much worse. If the crack continues to grow, likely time to put the gun down until your replacement stock arrives or you decide you want repair the existing stock.

View attachment 141514
I put together a Traditions St. Louis Hawken, after applying the finish I discovered this crack. My question, is it safe to shoot like this, I contacted traditions in October of last year 2021 and they said they would send me a new stock as of yet almost June I have not received it, they keep telling me it’s on its way.
I would drill up ( not going out the top) from the bottom two or three parellel holes, starting next to the front trigger, going towards the butt and run some glue into the holes(s) accompanied by wooden or wire dowels to bridge the crack. Before all that set up, I would try to work some glue into the crack, then wrap the area in rubber bands to clamp it all for a day or two. If you want the 'rustic look' put a plate over it, or perhaps a fancy inlay of bone. It's probably a seasoning crack as opposed to something you did. If you do the dowel/pins right, the repair should be pretty much invisible. The main thing is to bridge the crack with something that won't let the crack expand. Have fun with it.

View attachment 141514
I put together a Traditions St. Louis Hawken, after applying the finish I discovered this crack. My question, is it safe to shoot like this, I contacted traditions in October of last year 2021 and they said they would send me a new stock as of yet almost June I have not received it, they keep telling me it’s on its way.
They will Not give you a replacement stock, You will have to purchase a new stock

View attachment 141514
That rack can be repaired

Many different methods of repair that all should fix your issue. Other than this obsession I have with muzzleloaders I also build radio controlled aircraft that are made from balsa ply and other woods and such. They have to be built strong to withstand many “Gs”. One of the best glues I use is made by BSI industries. You can get this in thick,medium and thin. Thick and medium for gap filling, thin would run in a thin crack like water and penetrate all the way through. Be careful because I’ve had it run when you didn’t realize and glue my fingers to the project. Hope this helps and good luck on your project!

View attachment 141514
I think from looking at your picture it is only a drying check and probably not very deep. If so it probably won't grow any but if it is a stress crack and quite deep I think I would drill two small holes fore and aft of the crack from the bottom of the stock along side the trigger guard and epoxy two small corrugated nails up through the crack careful not to over drill and come out the top. This method will positively keep the crack from spreading any further through the wrist or forward up the stock.

Latest posts

Back