• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cracked Stock Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prowler5149

32 Cal
Reaction score
842777F4-048F-4D59-86A0-4D894B600653.jpeg

I put together a Traditions St. Louis Hawken, after applying the finish I discovered this crack. My question, is it safe to shoot like this, I contacted traditions in October of last year 2021 and they said they would send me a new stock as of yet almost June I have not received it, they keep telling me it’s on its way.

Last edited:
That stock is about as "on it's way" as the 2 Uberti 1860 Armies I ordered over a year ago from Sportsman's Guide.

I'd shoot it like that, I have a Pedersoli 1795 Springfield with a crack by the lock and it's had no problem emptying cartridge boxes of 100 gr charged .65 round balls several times over.

Yeah the side cover was something I was thinking about. Should I scrap some of the existing finish out of the crack or just put the glue over it (wick it in) like it is. I’ve used stain and Boiled Linseed Oil for the finish.
Thank you all for the response….

If you expect Traditions to help "DON'T". I purchased a Hawken kit with a missing trigger spring and screws late March 2 months ago Monday after weekly calls and emails they said 120 days back order so sorry THEN they send a catalog to buy from then again I ended up at Deer Creek ( after joining here ) with a CVA trigger.I advise, if you have ANY concerns about your stock follow members repair advice and look for a replacement stock at other venders. You may never get a replacement from Traditions and these members know what their talking about when it comes to muzzleloaders

Last edited:
If you shoot it as is you risk the crack running out into the wrist and ending up with the rifle unusable till major repairs.
I‘d clean as much of the finish out of the crack as possible, wick in some glue then fit a side plate, tastefully designed with at least four wood screws besides the lock screw, two above and two below the crack, or just keep at them for a replacement.
Depending on the length of the tang, I’d also drill through top to bottom and glue in a dowel and put in another dowel further back and fit an escutcheon over it.
A bit ‘belt and braces’ but I like sideplates :)

Great advice everyone thanks so much. I wish now I would have stuck to my original plan and searched for a used Thompson Center. I thought I was smart when it came to Kit building but lacking proper tools and equipment I’ve learned my lesson…

Great advice everyone thanks so much. I wish now I would have stuck to my original plan and searched for a used Thompson Center. I thought I was smart when it came to Kit building but lacking proper tools and equipment I’ve learned my lesson…
I highly doubt that crack is your fault. Look at the grain of that wood. They sent a lemon. I can spot 5 places I'd be worried about it cracking other than that spot.
Find a new stock. Until then, reenforce the thing as well as you can.

View attachment 141514
I put together a Traditions St. Louis Hawken, after applying the finish I discovered this crack. My question, is it safe to shoot like this, I contacted traditions in October of last year 2021 and they said they would send me a new stock as of yet almost June I have not received it, they keep telling me it’s on its way.
Prowler if you remove the barrel and tang. Take a 1/4 drill bit and drill from the inside tang area towards into the grip area. Fill the hole with a good glue, preferrably acra glass liquid from brownells, (heat the glue with a heat gun and it will turn to the consistency of water) have the threaded rod precut to length then insert the rod making sure rod does not extend out of the hole. Let set for at least 6 hours. Put your barrel and tang back in and you are all set. I fix things like this all the time. I hope this helps.;

I highly doubt that crack is your fault. Look at the grain of that wood. They sent a lemon. I can spot 5 places I'd be worried about it cracking other than that spot.
Find a new stock. Until then, reenforce the thing as well as you can.
I wasn’t referring to the Crack in the Stock in that response. I’m just Bummed out due to the many-many hours I spent fitting sanding and finishing to wind up with a junk stock. Had I been up too speed on understanding the grain problem I could have saved myself all those hours of wasted labor. Plus the fact it all had to be done in the house due to the 25-30 degree temps at the time, So the wife was very unhappy. In hind sight just paying the extra money for a complete Rifle or looking for the used Thompson Center Hawken in my case would have been best probably.

Prowler if you remove the barrel and tang. Take a 1/4 drill bit and drill from the inside tang area towards into the grip area. Fill the hole with a good glue, preferrably acra glass liquid from brownells, (heat the glue with a heat gun and it will turn to the consistency of water) have the threaded rod precut to length then insert the rod making sure rod does not extend out of the hole. Let set for at least 6 hours. Put your barrel and tang back in and you are all set. I fix things like this all the time. I hope this helps.;
Just to clarify, do you heat the glue to the consistency of water then pour it into the stock. Or heat the stock once the glue is in it to water consistency.

What Frankie said will work fine. But, I wouldn't go that elaborate. Get some brazing rod, drill a couple holes, rough up the rod so it will hold glue, insert through the crack and bind with some kind of elastic clamp. When dry file the rod down and sand smooth with the stock. A repair like this doesn't bother me as it is simply telling a story in the life of the rifle.

I would not shoot it. It could open up and possibly cause injury. Not saying it would but could.
I would get a piece or two of brass 1/8” threaded rod. Drill undersized holes through the stock above and below where the crack is. Then coat the crack thoroughly with epoxy including the holes for the threaded rod. Then tighten, clamp and run the threaded rod into the hole to a depth where it will help tighten the two pieces. Sometimes a second hole and rod can or should be used. Then cut the threaded rod off after it cures and file smooth. Then sand and finish.
sounds like a lot but the wrist of the stock is where a lot of energy is transferred through.

I have 2 that I drilled holes across crack, (90° to crack) then used epoxy and pushed a brass welding rod into the hole. After curing file the brass flush on end. I repaired my son's rifle at a shoot when another shooter tripped and fell into and cracked the wrist. I used 1/8" brass rod with gel superglue spaced about 1" apart along break. 25 years later, orginal emergency repair us still holding

I would just shoot it. You'll know within a few shots if it's going to be a problem. If it is a problem, there are a lot of those Traditions rifles out there for sale cheap for a donor stock.

Thinking if it was me, I'd go with a couple of long machine screws with the heads cut off. Drill down from the top, make the holes small enough (maybe 1/8") that the screws would fit snug. sink just below the surface so the top and bottom of the holes can be filled. Not thinking anything will be needed to pull the crack together. Looks like all you've got in the crack line?? There's enough wood on either side of the crack that a small drilled hole won't be cutting into anything. Drill it, Super Glue the hole, thick slow setting, stuff the rods (screw bodies) in the glued holes, put it aside and don't touch it for a day or so. Piece of cake and YOU CAN DO IT!! :thumb:

Just to clarify, do you heat the glue to the consistency of water then pour it into the stock. Or heat the stock once the glue is in it to water consistency.
I put the glue in a small shallow container, heat it to a water consistency (only takes a short bit) I pour the glue in first then push the rod in. Glue will ease out but I just wipe off the excess. Be sure you precut the rod length first before pouring the glue in. I hope this helps

Back