• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crack Shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiger955

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was out at the local gun range today working with some loads for my 44 mag and there was a dad with 2 little girls and grandpa shooting just down from me. The kids were shooting 22's, and grandpa had a Hawken replica cap lock. He let me look it over, it was a very cheap-looking "Muzzleloading Heritage" made in Spain gun.
One of the girls (8-10 years old?) wanted to try it, her first time with anything bigger than a 22 according to dad. I watched as she fired 2 shots. She dead centered the bull at 25 yds both times, off-hand!
I am guessing she is hooked, or will be soon. I invited them to one of our club shoots. If she is shooting some of us might look pretty sorry. :redface:

Many times girls are better shots than men. They have more patience and their egos and pride don't get in the way.

Hope she gets hooked.!Just don't get her on as a member here and join her up on the Young Ones- Old Ones Contest. No dead ringers allowed.

goody said:
Many times girls are better shots than men. They have more patience and their egos and pride don't get in the way.

+1 agreed! My daughters, ages 11 and 14, are both incredibly good shots. They are patient and take their time.

I've started a number of women shooting, some stuck and some didn't but what I noticed was that many of them are naturals right off the bat. Some of them also just love it.

BigDogg said:
goody said:

+1 agreed! My daughters, ages 11 and 14, are both incredibly good shots. They are patient and take their time.

And they Listen to the tips and advice offered when being taught.

I always enjoy the new catch phrase now-a-days,
"Shoot like a Girl,,If you can,," :grin:

They certainly do! I use to teach firearms at a police academy and the gals were something else. Not uncommon for one of them to win first place.

As a NRA Certified Instructor, I can vouch for the fact that most women listen & shoot better than the guys who think that they know it all. The girls listen intently, and follow instruction showing immediate results. They also have less bad habits to overcome, since they haven't shot much and developed bad habits in doing so. Women also tend to be more muzzle-aware and safe as well IMHO!

I've volunteered to teach at Ladies Days at our local club for 6 years in a row. They get bored with .22's after a while and want the powerful stuff. In fact, this little-old granny loved the .45-70 BPCR and the .54 cal ML rifles the best! And she hit what she was aiming at too!

Dave

I didn't catch her name, but I believe the Annie you are thinking of had light hair, this kids hiar was dark brown. :hmm:

necchi said:
BigDogg said:
goody said:

And they Listen to the tips and advice offered when being taught.

I always enjoy the new catch phrase now-a-days,
"Shoot like a Girl,,If you can,," :grin:

Yup! They do listen to everything you tell them, and hang on every word. I've noticed that once a girl gets to try her hand at shooting, they seem to keep coming back and improving each time. Its great to see girls on the firing line, holding their own.

I got beaten by a lady at a rendezvous when I was 16. We were shooting silhouettes, and her and I beat everyone until all the silhouettes were knocked over. They told us to shoot another target for a shoot-off, about 50 yards off. I was already flustered from beating all the men, so I shot low on the target. She walked up there cool as a cucumber, and drilled the bull, with a zouave! I could hear my friend laughing at me in the background. I took a razzing for that. Bill

i took my wife to the indoor pistol range about 20 years ago, the popular silohette targets at the time were ayotolla hominy :rotf: anyway i was shooting a 1911 and she had the 9mm when getting started i showed her how and we sent the targets down range on the cables , so were bangin away and when the clips were empty we brought the targets back up and i had all center of mass hits and she had all head shots! she said i thought you were sposed to aim for the head! needless to say i never took her to the range with me again, or gave her too much trouble in the years since!

Latest posts

Back