• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crack in stock? tips?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmyflashpan

32 Cal
Reaction score
hey y'all.. shot the flinter and noticed while cleaning this little guy
IMG_3832[1].JPG

I was thinking wood glue to keep it from cracking more but I'm not sure. thoughts, suggestions?

Those kinds of cracks many times propagate from the lock screw hole. Suggest figuring out why and where the crack started and fix that. Just glue or epoxy the visible crack and it will likely appear again. If you happened to have used glue, second time repair could be difficult, as most glues don’t adhere well to themselves once cured, like Acraglas or some other epoxies will.

As stated you want to determine why it cracked. Then I reccomend you drill a small hole just past the end of the crack to relieve any stress and prevent the crack from continuing, Then inject either an expanding glue (such as gorila glue) or super glue into the crack.

It has been my experience that this kind of crack is caused from a build style that uses a wood screw for a tang bolt. Instead of a machine bolt that goes from the tang and threads into the trigger group.

Until the design flaw is addressed, no amount of glue will stop the cracks from returning and growing..

This was a production rifle and didn't use wood screws. The tang bolt is a machine bolt that threads into the trigger guard. I used JB quick weld this AM and let it cure for the required hour. Shot it in the afternoon and the crack hasn't traveled. I took out the lock and checked the mortise. The crack was superficial in depth and didn't go further than 1-2mm. so far the JB weld is doing what its intended to do. I had planned to remove the factory lacquer and re-finish the stock after next deer season so I'm not to bothered by it as long as it stays put!

IMG_3840.jpg

And She shot okay. 100 yards standing in some pretty gnarly wind. wish it wasn't on steel (the splatter doesn't give the best visual of hits) but it was so windy that my target stand kept falling over

I would remove the lock, stand the gun on it's butt put painters tape over the crack tightly and fill the crack from the lock mortise with superglue until it won't hold anymore and let it set up. Remove the tape, you might have scrape off a little glue residue and add a touch more finish.

Next I would relieve a little wood from the lock mortis where the back of the lock sits.

I had a TC lock that I had to knock out from the opposite side, it was TIGHT. I used one of those finger nail emery boards, cut the end square and ran it around the inlet until the lock would fall out on it's own and still have no gaps.

I ended up with this fit.
lock bolt redo.JPG

I would remove the lock, stand the gun on it's butt put painters tape over the crack tightly and fill the crack from the lock mortise with superglue until it won't hold anymore and let it set up. Remove the tape, you might have scrape off a little glue residue and add a touch more finish.

Next I would relieve a little wood from the lock mortis where the back of the lock sits.

I had a TC lock that I had to knock out from the opposite side, it was TIGHT. I used one of those finger nail emery boards, cut the end square and ran it around the inlet until the lock would fall out on it's own and still have no gaps.

I ended up with this fit.View attachment 129901
some would relief sounds like a good idea. I'll don't that for sure! thanks.

Fixing the crack is cosmetic, more important that you fix the cause.
The lock is moving rearward under recoil. I would guess that the barrel is not properly inlet at the rear of barrel, or recoil lug. If you don’t fix it, it’ll just keep coming back, or get worse.
At this point, you can’t move the barrel back, but you could bed the recoil area. Also, it would help to enlarge the hole where the rear lock bolt ( if it has two) goes through the recoil lug.

Epoxy won't penetrate deep enough into the crack, unless it's real thin, which most Epoxy isn't, to do any good. Believe it or not, super glue is the better choice for hairline cracks. I've repaired many a milsurp crack with plain old crazy glue. Use a fine tipped bottle and drizzle enough into the crack so it seeps in deep. Try not to get any glue on the outside of the stock, for if you ever have to refinish the stock the glued area will not take stain.

It has been my experience that this kind of crack is caused from a build style that uses a wood screw for a tang bolt. Instead of a machine bolt that goes from the tang and threads into the trigger group.

Until the design flaw is addressed, no amount of glue will stop the cracks from returning and growing..
Let the rifle slip through your hands and the butt hit a hard surface it you want a crack where that one is?

Back