Cpl. Paul Hufford

Discussion in 'Share Your Persona' started by howdydoit, Dec 20, 2005.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Dec 20, 2005 #1

howdydoit

howdydoit

howdydoit

45 Cal.

On November 10, 1775, the Continental Congress meeting in Philadelphia passed a resolution stating that "two Battalions of Marines be raised" for service as landing forces with the fleet. I was 17 at this time and thought enlisting to see the world would be better than helping run my families small farm. I signed my enlistment papers in Tun Tavern and in front of the greatest man I have ever known Captan Samuel Nicholas. The resolution, established the Continental Marines and marked the birth date of the United States Marine Corps. I distinguished myself in operations, including the first amphibious raid into the Bahamas in March 1776, under the command of Captain (later Major) Samuel Nicholas. I remained a Marine throughout the American Revolution and Saw the raising of my Captain to the first Marine Commandant. The Treaty of Paris in April 1783 brought an end to the Revolutionary War and as the last of the Navy's ships were sold, I left my Continental Marines career behind and went out west.

In Dec 1811 I caught wind of a comming war, So I signed on again and boarded ship. We landed in Santo Domingo, and took part in many operations against the Barbary pirates along the "Shores of Tripoli". I participated in numerous naval operations during the War of 1812, as well as participating in the defense of Washington at Bladensburg, Maryland, and fought alongside Andrew Jackson in the defeat of the British at New Orleans. After the war was over I again returned to the west living day by day as a hunter and sometimes guide for all the green folk I found lost.

Hows that for a start. I was acctualy a Marine for several years and this period is very interesting to me. Any help would be great. There are a few holes to fill in.

Thanks. :hatsoff:

2. Dec 21, 2005 #2

flm_shooter

flm_shooter

flm_shooter

40 Cal.

If you were 17 in 1775, wouldn't you be 53 when you re-enlisted? I tried getting back into the Army at 35 and was told, "sorry". Now I know you Jarheads are more desperate, but really... :grin:

Seriously, I'm working a similar persona. A non-com in the F&I war, I'm a bit too old for a line unit in this fight against King George's oppression. But Daniel Morgan wants seasoned men who can still shoot and move through the woods... The time gap isn't so great, and I can still call on my military experience.

My 2 cents only. Hats off :hatsoff: for researching the history, as long as you remember the Army was first! :blah:

On edit: that has to be the most smilies I have ever used.

3. Dec 21, 2005 #3

When chips are down age means very little to the press gang.

Kasper Mansker resigned his commission as Col. in the TN militia so that he could fight as a private in the war of 1812. He was 65 years old at the Battle of New Orleans.

Even as late as WWII the government was drafting in special need areas (noncombat) to age 55.

I believe (?) that by law one is required to carry his selective service card until around that age.

There has always been much to-do about them that lied about their age to enter the service while too young, never much about them that lied so they could fight into their senior years.

:hatsoff:

It would be a pitty to die of old age before the war was won!

4. Dec 21, 2005 #4

howdydoit

howdydoit

howdydoit

45 Cal.

Well I didnt do the math. But thought it was a good start. Hopefully I can fill in a few areas and put something together like Claude. His was nice. What it boiled down to was I really liked Shooting those pretty red coats. they made such nice targets. :rotf:

5. Dec 22, 2005 #5

flm_shooter

flm_shooter

flm_shooter

40 Cal.

So be a tall 14 yr old in '75. Then you can lie about your age for both enlistments. :thumbsup: Heck, weren't midshipmen running watches by that age?

6. Dec 23, 2005 #6

howdydoit

howdydoit

howdydoit

45 Cal.

I was thinking about that and was trying to stay within my own life experiences. But I think some midshipmen were younger than 14. Is possible, and thanx. :thumbsup:

7. Dec 24, 2005 #7

TFoley

TFoley

TFoley

62 Cal.

In the Royal Navy of Nelson's day, midshipmen began as ship's boys and after two years at sea, were given the appointment of midshipman by Royal Warrant. Between four and five years later [according to the manual] and before their 19th birthday they were expected to take their lieutentant' exams. By simple deduction this means that they may have been as young as 10 or 11 when they went to sea. Certainly, ship's drummer boys, often the sons of members of the ship's crew, could be as young as 7 or 8 by the time they were were slaughtered by grape-shot, as at the Nile and Trafalgar.

tac

8. Dec 28, 2005 #8

howdydoit

howdydoit

howdydoit

45 Cal.

Okay, I see a tall 14 year old enlistee. and a 50 year old malitia man. Im cool with the shoot and run. then I retire back to the mountains that I love. :v

9. Jan 6, 2006 #9

Hi Cpl.Paul Hufford
    This was an interesting one. I enjoyed the neet histiry lesson as well.
    My best regards loyalist Dawg

10. Jan 7, 2006 #10

howdydoit

howdydoit

howdydoit

45 Cal.

Its still a work in progress. I think im going to tweek the years alittle. maybe. :cursing: