• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

coyotes after dark

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody on here hunt coyotes at night, with a muzzleloader of course? Some of the local guys have been killing them at night with their non-muzzleloaders and I'd like to get it in on the action. I can't bring myself to put laser sights on my gun though.

Anybody on here hunt coyotes at night, with a muzzleloader of course? Some of the local guys have been killing them at night with their non-muzzleloaders and I'd like to get it in on the action. I can't bring myself to put laser sights on my gun though.
Around here the use of red lights is popular so you can see both the target and the sights.

Across the South and East Texas they killed off the Red Wolf and then Coyotes moved into
the predator space. Some Lady professor wrote me about my opinion about the
reintroducing of the Red Wolf back into Florida. I own a hunting camp in the middle
of the wilderness zone they are targeting for the releases. I sent back the survey
saying fine with me. Of course they had released Panthers in there and they lasted only
a few years before they slipped their collars and attacked pets and livestock. The real
animals that belong in wild places have it tough. The Coyotes are taking over with the
Hogs cheering them on. Good luck with your night lights, you won't dent their population.

Good luck with your night lights, you won't dent their population.
Don’t worry, they seem to die around here 24/7. Whole neighborhood and the bride are behind me 100% after a few beloved cats, a Yorkie and a Chihuahua disappeared. May not make a dent in population, but there will be some definite bumps.

Day hunting of coyotes is better fun, especially in the snow, but night hunting can be more productive. Contrary to popular opinion, red lights can spook them on occasion, had it happen on a text book set up. But, other times they will stand still long enough to gain a good sight picture. If I were to muzzleload specifically for coyotes it would be a daytime proposition only. For night hunting a light mounted on a scope with a pressure switch taped on the forestock is the most practical.
You don't seem to be taking this up for sport but to put the pet eating pack on notice. May as well set yourself up for success. Coyotes are smart and educate quick. One calling session doesn't do it. You have to have multiple setups predetermined and be willing to call in one spot for half an hour, then hop to the next and do the same. If you miss the first time they may, or may not come into the call the second time. Good coyote callers spend an exorbitant amount of time in the field. It was one of the most rewarding hobbies I've participated in before the market crash of 2008 and gas prices spiked to $4.00 per gallon.
Really serious eradication measures include traps and snares.

Be careful, it can be addicting.

DSC09379.JPG

I once got a rabbit at night with a muzzleloader and flashlight.
I also got a fox right on dark with old Bess. I could barely see it. I could see even less after 120gns lit up and sent 2oz of shot.

I have an electric predator call and it works fairly well in some places. I was considering coyote calling at night and getting one of those big cost NV scopes to diminish their population. AZ game & fish says no can do except in some small areas in a couple of different counties that aren't close to me. Somebody always seems to have a better idea for what I can do. I don't love Az fish and game.

There should be a concerted effort to shoot, poison, trap and somehow sterilize them. There is a weak link in their chain somewhere and we need to find it. Have no use for them. The coyotes in the east are a proven red wolf hybrid. The red wolf wasnt exterminated it was bred out of existence by coyotes, as they were more prolific and overwhelmed the red wolf. At least that is one theory. Lots of theories though and everybody is an expert.

I saw a coyote grab a doe by the hamstring once and when I tried to shoot it, I missed. The coyote ran one way and the doe limped off the other. I then killed a huge blondish male coyote in the same spot the following year. I had a very large black coyote come to me another time while flinter hunting and I couldnt get a shot.

I have an electric predator call and it works fairly well in some places. I was considering coyote calling at night and getting one of those big cost NV scopes to diminish their population. AZ game & fish says no can do except in some small areas in a couple of different counties that aren't close to me. Somebody always seems to have a better idea for what I can do. I don't love Az fish and game.

AZ is weird that way. During daylight hours you can hunt coyotes with an AR with a 100 round drum and a suppressor if you want, but if you want to hunt the same yotes at night? Ha! A very limited season, very limited locations, and very limited weapons. :dunno:

I live about 20 min drive from Traditions. Picked up a 50 cal flint carbine, blemished, for cheap at their factory store, short little modern stocked thing, Drilled and and tapped it and mounted a picatinny rail. Sure ain’t traditional, but it allows me to mount my various night scopes and makes it a viable rig for racoons, opossums, and coyotes after the sun goes down. Flints are really a hoot to shoot in the dark.

Last edited:
I stopped shooting them years ago. No issue with those that continue. Dont think its legal to do in AZ ?? Suggest all check local regs before moving fwd with lights n such! I know the hunters need to shoot em around here to save the antelope fawns, they get eaten about 60% of the time before they are old enough to get away.

Could have drilled the rail to match the rear sight screws, but in this particular case the rear sight mounting position was too far down the barrel to allow for proper eye relief on the scopes. I suppose I could have ordered a longer rail but I just used what I had on hand. Being as this little carbine is hardly traditional or any kind of a show piece really wasn’t too concerned about putting a couple of extra holes in it

Last edited:
We can hunt at night but can't shoot cat until sunrise what would you .use on your lock from falling slow. My lock is new

Lucas makes what they call Extreme Duty Gun Oil. Comes in a 1oz bottle with a black label and a needle like spout. This stuff makes STP look like super glue. Some LGS carry it but I usually get it at the auto parts store with the Irish name. Don’t know if they have those where you live. I’m sure it’s also available on line. Would use some break cleaner or such first to make sure all manufacturing residue is removed first. Costs about $6

Latest posts

Back