• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

coyotes after dark

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Georgia is crawling with coyotes and they are a very common sight. I've only shot one and that was years ago. WV is crawling with them too. I did kill a couple of bobcats in my native Georgia and they were also a common sight. I never night hunted but during the day and from my deer stand the coyotes seemed to trot by fairly unconcerned; they've even done just that while I was busy shooting targets in plain sight!

Night calling coyotes is a good way to screw up (educate) a lot of coyotes.

It sure has changed a lot (and not for the better) in the last 15-20 years after the “Foxpro phenomenon”. We’re gonna see it all over again as thermals become more financially achievable and common.

Here in Missouri, nothing can be hunted at night using a light or night vision equipment with the exception of racoon treed with a dog. I have hunted them on a snow-covered night with a full moon and that works pretty well.

Coyotes used to be here in large numbers here in the Arkansas Ozarks (north-mid part of state). We have many turkey and chicken farmers who produce for big companies like Tyson, Swift. Years ago it was a regular practice for the farmers to toss out dead birds every morning. Usually they were just tossed down a hillside. This provided a lot of nourishment for the coyotes and they multiplied incredibly. Then laws were passed that stopped the bird toss practice. No more daily feedings and the 'yotes seem to have disappeared. I doubt they are gone completely but I haven't seen one in several years. I used to kill them incidental to deer hunting.

View attachment 63637
I once got a rabbit at night with a muzzleloader and flashlight.
I also got a fox right on dark with old Bess. I could barely see it. I could see even less after 120gns lit up and sent 2oz of shot.
120grs of fine powder and 2 0z. of shot....? Killed ol' Reynard did it? Buggers the imagination to see what you would consider adequate for our coyotes!

Conversation overheard while Britsmoothy hunted coyotes:

Corporal: "Sixteen pounders ready, Suh!

Britsmoothy: "Very good Corporal!" "Might I inquire as to the loads?"

Corporal: "Suh! Case shot and one silk bag of fine, Suh!"

Britsmoothy: "You Bloody Fool!" "We're dealing with LARGE canines here!" "Pull and re-charge immediately with TWO bags of fine!...and be quick about it or I'll have you flogged - again!"

I have killed several coyotes, 3 while on duty and 2 with my sidearm. There's no shortage of them here.

The game biologists say a huge percentage of fawns are taken by them. Hunting them at night is challenging, adding a muzzle loader makes it tougher, imho. Not impossible, just tougher.

Remember if your lucky enough to get a shot it'll be some time before your night vision returns .

i picked up a picatinny rail and drilled it out to match the holes in my TC hawken. nice and tight and now with my eyes getting worse all the time, im a little more prepared now being able to use a red dot on that in the afternoon deer hunting.
ready for any situation.jpg

Latest posts

Back