• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cows Knee

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I second that. Thought about making one this weekend when I was making a couple other leather items- looks simple enough but didn’t know if there were some particular do’s and don’ts.

Here's one thats been posted all over. Some like them some don't. Get ya some soft leather and neetsfool oil and have at it. It be one of them things ya just gotta try and form yer own opinion.... :hmm:
cowsknee.jpg

I make mine like the picture ,but don't cut the leather triangle out. Just make one cut and double the leather and then sew it ( holds out the water better) Grease up the leather real good. I use a product called snow seal. Also a good idea to put some little gobs of grease/wax where the barrel meets the wood. When the water runs down the barrel it will come to these little dams and fall off rather than run all the way down into the pan. Had a old timer tell me this some time ago. Darn if I ain't a old timer tellin sombody else.

Frosty, You got a long way to go to be an old timer. Len's already there. Was around when caps were invented, he never did trust those new fangled things. Just picking on you a little Len.

Rick

This is the type I have some to like, it looks kind of like a little "Robinhood" type hat the hammer pretty much keeps it in place with a cross thong in the back to ride on the wrist.

lockcover.jpg

Frenchman said:
:thumbsup: looking for any info on cows knee. Need info on making for flint shooter, Thanks

I modeled mine after my ex-wife's knee, what a cow she was... :shocked2: :haha: (just kidding)

Mine is nothing more than a 7x14 inch slab of treated leather with a short thin leather strap tied on one end, I then tie the other end of the leather strap to the back part of my trigger guard so when I shoot, I just flip it off and shoot.

Then once I reload, I don't have to search for my cow's knee, it is hanging on my gun.

HPIM0381.jpg

Mine is an old car chamois that's probably a bit older than I am. I sewed the triangles about as shown earlier (no cuts, just folds) and painted the outside with molten beeswax (using a solder brush & a heat gun). That and all the auto wax makes it vert weathertight.

Problem is it's starting to disintegrate. :rotf: It was pretty skanky before I pressed it into hunting service.

I made mine by laying the gun lock side down.trace around it from 3"-5" in front of the lock around the frizzen and hammer(at half cock) back to the wrist. make that piece long enough to reach down to the trigger guard.the other piece needs the same contour as the first at the top,it just has to be longer to lay across the barrel down the opposite side of the stock. stitch the top line inside out with a welt turn it right out. grease it into submission,and a tie at both ends. John Howe expained it this way in a "MuzzleLoader" article last year i think.

Back