Cowboys and Indians in the 1800's

Discussion in 'The Plains' started by Ron LaClair, Feb 16, 2018.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Feb 3, 2019 #41

shortstart

shortstart

shortstart

36 Cal.

A while back, a reenactor buddy and I were doing a short presentation for a bunch of home schooled kids. The subject was events in south western Pa. during the F&I war. In the coarse of the Q&A afterward, the question of “who was George Washington” came up. One child thought he might have been a General. That was it. From the look on the mothers faces, I’m not sure they knew either! Makes me glad I’m as old as I am. (75)

MaterielGeneral and satx78247 like this.
  2. Feb 3, 2019 #42

Pukka Bundook

Pukka Bundook

Pukka Bundook

45 Cal.

When I was in school in the 60's, (UK) a question on a test asked, "Who invented the television?"

I answered "Yogi Bear" (!) as I knew it was a name Something like that!!

3. Feb 3, 2019 #43

satx78247

satx78247

satx78247

Cannon MLF Supporter

Pukka Bundook,

ROTFL.

yours, satx

4. Feb 4, 2019 #44

Newtire

Newtire

Newtire

32 Cal.

The haircut lady frowns on you dulling her clippers with a lathe chip-zing...

5. Feb 25, 2019 #45

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

40 Cal MLF Supporter

i have only worked with the sioux the last 22 years. one of my old patients who has since passed said this about the sioux and iron arrow heads. this was passed down to him when he was young. they would take a bunch of arrow heads of iron and wrap them in a big piece of red meat. bury it in the ground. come back in a couple of months and did it up. by then the arrow heads were covered in a posionous crud. the same type of bacteria that causes gangrene. they would put these on arrows and not tie them tight.they did not care where they hit the enemy, any wheres was fine. usually the head was left in the enemies body. no matter where they were hit, they were dead in about one week or close to it. ive seen this same bacteria on a lung resection patient in his 50/s. he didnt survive and the smell was as bad as it can get.this type of bacteria is very hard to control even with all the modern antibiotics we have. hope no one who reads this kills anybody this way. we have enough ways but you never wanted to get shot by a sioux arrow treated this way in days gone buy.

6. Feb 25, 2019 #46

32 ballard xl

32 ballard xl

32 ballard xl

32 Cal.

Thanks for straightening us out. We were ill taught, it seems. We had a multi colored roller map of the United Kingdom & Eire. England was buff colored, Scotland was pea soup green, Wales was Battle ship gray, Ireland was dark green, and Ulster was maroon. We were expected to know that Glasgow was in Scotland, Birmingham in England, Dublin in Ireland, etc. etc.

7. Feb 26, 2019 #47

Pukka Bundook

Pukka Bundook

Pukka Bundook

45 Cal.

SatX,

I just saw your post, #25 back a page, about your family associations with the colourful border reivers.

If you haven't, you should read a book called "The Steel Bonnets". Very enlightening book on the subject.
    It didn't actually matter which side of the border you were on, raids could be just as well on home ground as "Away matches'. Not just a case of Scots raiding English farms and visa versa.
    Our old farm was built with the buildings in a square, so cattle could be run in, in time of trouble. Sort of like a stone version of 'covered wagon circle'.
    The oldest part of the farm house was built by the monks from Guisborough Priory, not sure when , but maybe 12th or 13th Century. The walls were thick enough that cupboards could be put in the outside walls. It had great sandstone slabs on the floor in my father's time, but was re-layed with small 'Dutch " tiles after the War.
    Popular nicknames amongst the border families went on for generations, whichever side of the true border they lived on. " Jock of the side" was a name always in use for hundreds of years it seems!
    Armstrong, Anderson, Douglas, Kendal, all famous old north country names..

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  8. Feb 27, 2019 #48

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

40 Cal MLF Supporter

also remember the northern plains natives. ive worked with them for over 30 years. my favorite native names is pawnee leggings and kills crow indian. their great gandfathers killed a pawnee in battle and took his leggings, and kills crow indians speaks for its self. the decendance of custer on the rez is yellow bird, all yellow birds have custer blood, the decendents of buffalo bill are steels, all natives with steel as a name are buffalo bills decendents. i like the kiowa from texas, they are best horseman of all the tribes. nobody road a horse like they could. they, the sioux, drove out the kiowa from the black hills where i live in the 1750/s. before that the kiowa drove out the apache and before that the apache drove out the arappahoe. it was a revolving world back then. guns and horses changed every thing.one must expand or protect his food sources, that what is was all about. the toughest natives on the palins was two tibes nobody now knows. the french cree chippawa back down from no one and were way tougher than the sioux. the other two tibes that no none messed with were small ones. when the sioux or black foot met a mandan or flathead battle hardened native on the plains and took them on they knew that alot of sioux or black feet would die before they ever put a mandan man or flathead man down. they were the toughest of the tough. both those tribes were and still are catholic from man moons ago. my name in sioux is strong eagle, suda womblie, given that name by the brule sioux tribe 30 years ago.brule sioux are french for burnt thigh sioux. they were the first sioux to get horses. and their thighs tanned deep dark brown in the summer from riding them. to this day you can go to all the differnt sioux rezs and see horse, but if you go to the brule sioux rex you will see the best of the best horse. their is not a bad horse on that rez. you cowboys out their would love to see what they raise in horses, they are all winners. it is a beautiful rez filled with very good horses. thats it for this time. dont sell the kiowa shot, they could ride a horse better than anyone.

Pukka Bundook likes this.
  9. Feb 27, 2019 #49

azmntman

azmntman

azmntman

75 Cal.

I have 2 wires in my neck, Marines rejected me! Guess they as afeared I would show up on radar standing next to my tank??

Woodnbow likes this.
  10. Feb 27, 2019 #50

atllaw

atllaw

atllaw

32 Cal

How can you mention Armstrong and not say a thing about Elliot(t)? :mad:
    ;)
    This is what I dress like when I go to Atlanta... nothing out of the ordinary so I don't draw any attention Don't ya know! :D IMG_0663.JPG

11. Feb 27, 2019 #51

Pukka Bundook

Pukka Bundook

Pukka Bundook

45 Cal.

Ah yes, Elliot!

Not all were hanged...... :)

12. Feb 28, 2019 #52

mrstang01

mrstang01

mrstang01

32 Cal

OT, but what machete is that please?

13. Mar 1, 2019 #53

satx78247

satx78247

satx78247

Cannon MLF Supporter

Pukka Bundook,

My mother's side of the family was surnamed (at least in theory) BANKHEAD, though that MAY well have been an ALIAS, adopted before/after the family was banished to the colony of Carolina.
    One of my ancestors was called "Scarface Bankhead", as he had taken a saber cut all across the right side of his face that healed with an UGLY wide area of (more or less white) scar-tissue from hairline to chin. It was said that, "He was hard to look upon" thereafter but he also said that the fellow who gave him the cut was "dead & gone"..
    (YES, I've read STEEL BONNETS, too.)

yours, satx

14. Mar 3, 2019 #54

1clayguy

1clayguy

1clayguy

Pilgrim

An excellent book on Comanches in Texas: Empire of the Summer Moon, S.C. Gwynne. After I read it, I went out and bought a Colt Walker in honor of the book. Was pretty easy to convince myself to make the purchase. Read the book and you'll likely understand.

15. Mar 3, 2019 #55

atllaw

atllaw

atllaw

32 Cal

It's a Tramontina from Brasil. 10 inch blade model. I use it as a kitchen knife.