• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

covering mistakes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That patch doesn’t bother me a bit. So maybe I’m fretting too much on mine. I’ll probably have it aged a bit my first time in the woods anyway, haha!

Agreed, David. @Eric Krewson Eric's cover up looks almost like a beauty spot...
Easy to view as your gun's history, as you'll assuredly add more memories out in the woods.
Could also be an enjoyable range talking point.
~wiksmo

When I make pegs I chuck up a 3/8" piece in my drill and run it sideways on my belt sander with a fine grit belt. I can make an exact fit this way. I use the correct grain orientation and very light pressure while I sand them down to keep the grain from separating.

When I make pegs I chuck up a 3/8" piece in my drill and run it sideways on my belt sander with a fine grit belt. I can make an exact fit this way. I use the correct grain orientation and very light pressure while I sand them down to keep the grain from separating.
Nice idea. You guys are making feel better. I’m not so alone with the mistakes. Dc

I remember back in the early 70's when I was new at gun building. I was being shown some building techniques by an old friend named Fred Anderson Riley. I asked him if he ever made mistakes. He replied that everyone makes mistakes and you just have to do the best you can to hide them. Sometime later he was showing me a rifle he just finished and of course, it was amazing except one thing I immediately noticed. It was unusual for him to engrave his full name on a rifle but there it was on the top flat of the gun was his full name but the "s" had been left out of Anderson. I asked him if when he was in grammar school a couple of hundred years ago if they did not teach him how to spell his name. Anyone could tell he was a retired navy man by the long string of expletives he spouted out.
I loved that grumpy old man and thought the world of him. He surprised me one time with a birthday gift of a powder horn that he had put in many hours of his masterful work into. I was totally surprised and brought to tears. It is still a prized possession that I keep locked in my safe. Many wonderful memories from back then.

Extra pinholes on the forearm I would just use a type of oval or star inlay, it corrects the issue without showing of a repair, this also maintains the guns value.

For pin holes around the trigger guard area that are close together I would try to use Dutchman’s repair with the same species of wood that plugs in a graining shape, meaning not as a hole plug, running with the grain it will appear corrected only to you If the holes are on top of one another I might try to use a larger diameter pin if possible To cover both spots Or possible a cap style inlay that looks like a pin.

I remember back in the early 70's when I was new at gun building. I was being shown some building techniques by an old friend named Fred Anderson Riley. I asked him if he ever made mistakes. He replied that everyone makes mistakes and you just have to do the best you can to hide them. Sometime later he was showing me a rifle he just finished and of course, it was amazing except one thing I immediately noticed. It was unusual for him to engrave his full name on a rifle but there it was on the top flat of the gun was his full name but the "s" had been left out of Anderson. I asked him if when he was in grammar school a couple of hundred years ago if they did not teach him how to spell his name. Anyone could tell he was a retired navy man by the long string of expletives he spouted out.
I loved that grumpy old man and thought the world of him. He surprised me one time with a birthday gift of a powder horn that he had put in many hours of his masterful work into. I was totally surprised and brought to tears. It is still a prized possession that I keep locked in my safe. Many wonderful memories from back then.
Nice story. Thanks, dwc

Back