• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Couple quick pics of my matchlock build....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidney Smith

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Got the barrel and tang inlet about as good as I'm gonna get. It's a Rifle Shoppe English style matchlock kit. I had them do the Barrel channel and ramrod hole, as I don't have the skill or desire to do that part. It's got a Colerain octagon to round, .775 smoothbore barrel. Barrel measures right around 46 inches long.

The next job is to install, then inlet the barrel tenons.

This is going to be a left handed matchlock. The only left handed matchlock I've ever seen. Enjoy.

20220123_191314.jpg
20220123_191320.jpg

Last edited:
Got the barrel and tang inlet about as good as I'm gonna get. It's a Rifle Shoppe English style matchlock kit. I had them do the Barrel channel and ramrod hole, as I don't have the skill or desire to do that part. It's got a Colerain octagon to round, .775 smoothbore barrel. Barrel measures right around 46 inches long.

The next job is to install, then inlet the barrel tenons.

This is going to be a left handed matchlock. The only left handed matchlock I've ever seen. Enjoy.

View attachment 116899View attachment 116900
Crazy cool. Please post more pictures, just awesome

Hi Flint. That should turn out great. (Even if the lock is on the wrong side LOL). You'll finally have a south-paw matchlock that you can really enjoy. I believe the barrel that comes with that kit is the same as the one that came with my 1600 Swedish Snaplock. I believe Colerain calls it their 1710 Dutch Musket Barrel.

Rick

Not a full picture shown, but just from the 'thumb cut' in the wrist, I'd guess a fishtail shaped stock. Boucaniers also had that wrist 'cut' feature.
I believe the stock is generally known as the English Fishtail. That deeper thumb cut-out seems to have been a common styling cue with builders during the day as they show up on even Spanish and Italian gun stocks of the period.
The Fishtail is actually more comfortable to shoulder than I first imagined. You get accustomed to it quickly.

Rick
DSC00783 (Medium).JPG
DSC00782 (Medium).JPG

Not a full picture shown, but just from the 'thumb cut' in the wrist, I'd guess a fishtail shaped stock. Boucaniers also had that wrist 'cut' feature.
This may give a better idea . I don't think this is a fishtail stock , it doesn't flair enough .The lock may give a better idea of period . Sorry about the pic quality
P1020115.JPG
P1020047 (2).JPG
P1020070 (2).JPG

No ,this is a USA matchlock , 20 ga, made by Jurgen Krakel , now deceased . It is a very simple lock but it works well .
Sidney , i didn't mean to horn in on your thread , I just want to know what era my type of Matchlock is from .

Back