• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Couple Carbines I made

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Heres a couple Confederate Carbines.
Top one is my made from scratch Ricmond Carbine. It has a Whiteacre BBL @.577, its some kind of european hardwood I picked up years ago, withsome original lock parts, and high quality bbl bands, lock plate, hammer, and brass parts that are almost unobtaineum any more, as the guys who use to make them have mostly passed.
I built quite a few Richmond Rifles, and Carbines over the years. Also built a few different models of the Model 1841, and a Dickson Nelson Rifle, along with Dickson Nelson Carbines.

The lower carbine is an ole Zoli (early 80s) J.P. Murray Carbine I got, that was in rough shape. It has a real good bore @.578 tho. I redid the lock so it operates good now, with a nice trigger pull @4.5lbs. redid the stock with Laurel Mtn Forge mixed dye and sealer , and finnish. Just got thru making a new rear sight out of a piece of "T" stock. It needs sighting in now. I glass bedded both carbine barrels.

I don't know if i'll make any more or not as the good quality parts are very few, and far between now, and I aint getting any younger. Years ago I use to use barrels from Jerry Harmon, who got the blanks from Bill Large, on all my muskets, and carbines. I don't think Large barrels are around any more either.
Well thats enough rambling for now hope you like my carbines.

Dave c.

Attachments

• 20220829_182127.jpg
    20220829_182127.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
Nice looking ..thanks for posting
I have a question for an experienced feller such as you
I have had tipple shoulder surgery leaving me with a very weak left arm and am a right hand shooter
I have a .54 TC Renegade but it is so front heavy (to me) that it is not the joy to shoot as it should be
So I have been thinking of something like a Parker Hale Enfield Musketoon thinking large bore thin short barrel combination might work and here is why

I used to be a bow hunter until my crash so I picked up a crossbow which I could not hold up well either HOWEVER and quite by accident while in a Cabelas killing time I tried a crossbow of the same weight as mine but walla the weight was much further to the rear allowing my right side to manage more of the weight

Have you ever had a PH Musketoon to your shoulder?
I am a long time cap n ball shooter but my knowledge of civil war era rifles of short stature is limited to just recently finding out about the Parker Hale Musketoon

So I am looking to shoulder/buy a PH Musketoon OR another period correct short rifle that might solve my problem ..that is as soon a figure out what models fit the bill

Thanks
Bear

Brokenbear
Sorry I can't help you on the PH Enfield Musketoon, Ive never had or shot one.
I did have a PH 2 band musket in the late 70s when I first started skirmishing. I sold it, as I couldn't get use to how straight it was , not enough drop in the stock for me. So went with a Springfield, and Richmonds, thats about all Ive shot as far as muskets,and carbines go, ever since. P Hs are excellent guns, but for me it was like trying to aim a 2x4.
These carbines are not heavy, I find them easy to shoot. The J. P. Murray carbine is lighter than the Richmond carbine. they both shoulder about the same. The Richmond has better sights. The Murray is very exceptable tho. I have peep sights on both.

Dave

Brokenbear
Sorry I can't help you on the PH Enfield Musketoon, Ive never had or shot one.
I did have a PH 2 band musket in the late 70s when I first started skirmishing. I sold it, as I couldn't get use to how straight it was , not enough drop in the stock for me. So went with a Springfield, and Richmonds, thats about all Ive shot as far as muskets,and carbines go, ever since. P Hs are excellent guns, but for me it was like trying to aim a 2x4.
These carbines are not heavy, I find them easy to shoot. The J. P. Murray carbine is lighter than the Richmond carbine. they both shoulder about the same. The Richmond has better sights. The Murray is very exceptable tho. I have peep sights on both.

Dave
Dave I appreciate your getting back my questions ..sure are fine looking shooters
Thanks
Bear

When I 1st started skrimishing with the N-ssa I used a Smith Carbine but after building my Richmond musketoon I found it shot the same load as my 1855 rifle. So out of ease of only haveing to make 1 type of ammo, I retired my Smith.

Sixgun
I did the same, built a Richmond Carbine with a Harmon/Large bbl, and sold my Original Smith.
Wish I would have kept the Smith tho, It was a good shooter. Jerry Harmon did not want to cut down a rifle bbl to make a carbine bbl, but he finally did. Thier are not many Richmond Carbines around with Harmon/Large BBLs. It has 7, or 8 deep lands , and grooves, and drives tacks if I can shoot it like that.
I paired it with my Fayetteville Rifle that I built with a Harmon/Large BBl.
I have a Richmond Carbine and 2 band Rifle with Whiteacre BBLs.

Dave

Dave
I made mine with a Springfield lock like a battlefield pick up and repair. Also built a Harpers Ferry 1841 conversion with the long range rear sight like a 55 rifle, also put a Whitacre barrel on that too. My 55 rifle, Harpers Ferry and Richmond musketoon all use the same load!!!! really dont know what type of magic Dan used to make the 3 barrels but they all shoot the same!
Still thinking about makeing a 2 band 1842 smoothbore, really wish some would make a repro 1847 smoothbore musketoon tho

Last edited:
Back