• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

COST DIFFERENCE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APG

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just amazed at the cost difference for CCI #10 percussion caps at the big stores. Sportsman's Warehouse has them for $5.99 per tin of 100. Then Bass Pro Shops has them for $13.99. The difference is just crazy. Greedy folks at Bass Pro Shop. Even though I don't use it Pyrodex RS is $22.99 at Sportsmans and $29.99 at Bass Pro.

Yep, absolutely no rhyme or reason to it. Especially when you consider that Bass Pro owns Sportsman’s Warehouse now. I believe for over a year or more.
I didn't know that Bass Pro Shops owns Sportsmans Warehouse. I thought they owned Cabelas, or do they own both of them?

I didn't know that Bass Pro Shops owns Sportsmans Warehouse. I thought they owned Cabelas, or do they own both of them?
Last I checked the Bass Pro aquisition was blocked by the Fed. Trade Commission and they gave up on it.
Whew, that’s good to hear. I knew I hadn’t heard anything lately on the buyout. It would have ruined Sportsman’s Warehouse.

Bass Pro has become out of touch with real sportsman, in my opinion. There's not a thing Made in USA in the store's clothing lineup and most other products. The help is uneducated in most instances. The prices are higher than other locations. About the only good thing is that they are somewhat widespread and occasionally have something you need right now. We recently went into a BPS to get a rain poncho prior to a football game in severe downpour. There was just one and it was $8.99. An employee was nice enough to check the back and other sections but couldn't find another. We saw a Wal Mart on the way to the stadium. There were dozens of the same exact ponchos, and they were $3.99.

Quite a while ago my sons were single digits in age. There was a "seminar" about fishing that they saw in a newspaper ad and really wanted to go. One of the topics was "youth fishing" so we thought they might get something out of it. We stood on line to get in for about 20-minutes while the seminar area was set-up. When we went to get seats we found some empty in the second row. An employee promptly appeared in front of us and told us to move back - the first five rows were reserved for VIP customers. First, there was hardly anyone in those first five rows and second, how the hell are two little boys going to see from the sixth row plus? When brought this up and the employee physically put his hand on my wife's shoulder and began pushing us out of the row. I sought the Manager but was told he was not in. I asked who was in charge and was told none of the management staff was present (which I did not believe). By the time I went back to the seminar area the rear sections were taken, yet the first five rows still have plenty of seats. We departed. I called and asked for someone to call me back but nobody did. I sent a letter to Bass Pro Headquarters, addressed to Johnny Norris. About a month later, a Regional Manager called me. He apologized and offered me a pre-approved credit card if I filled out the application. Really? Next he said if we would meet him at a set date and time he would let both kids fish in the pond in front of the store - catch and release. We took him up on that and they did catch a few bass, panfish and catfish. Anyway, my boys remember to this day getting shoved out of the VIP section at that seminar so about 10-years later neither one wants anything to do with Bass Pro Shops brand.

The Cabela's acquisition has disgraced Dick and Jim Cabela's name in my opinion.

Stores have to make a profit and I understand that. Over-pricing is just not pro-consumer. I've been to Scheel's in two States recently. They have CCI and Remington caps in #10 and #11 for $9.99 a tin. That's higher than in the past but fair in today's market. The employee was very helpful and also pointed out some coupons to save a few bucks upon reaching a purchase point. In the fly-fishing section, the employee admitted he did not know enough to answer my questions. He called the fly-fishing department manager at home and put him on the phone with me right there in the aisle. My questions were answered, and I made a purchase. This is about the only big store I enjoy nowadays. Otherwise, I try to seek out local mom and pop shops or patronize vendors on the internet with fair prices and good customer service.

Rant over.......

To buy online you're going to pay for the product. Then you're going to pay the HAZMAT fee. Then you're going to pay the shipping charge. Then you're going to pay the new and improved online sales tax.

23 for powder + 20 for hazmat + 13 for shipping + online tax = 56ish dollars for one pound of powder.

I have no problem paying Bass Pro 29 bucks for powder. And it keeps one of only a handful of brick and mortar stores in business.

Bass Pro has become out of touch with real sportsman, in my opinion. There's not a thing Made in USA in the store's clothing lineup and most other products. The help is uneducated in most instances. The prices are higher than other locations. About the only good thing is that they are somewhat widespread and occasionally have something you need right now. We recently went into a BPS to get a rain poncho prior to a football game in severe downpour. There was just one and it was $8.99. An employee was nice enough to check the back and other sections but couldn't find another. We saw a Wal Mart on the way to the stadium. There were dozens of the same exact ponchos, and they were $3.99.

Quite a while ago my sons were single digits in age. There was a "seminar" about fishing that they saw in a newspaper ad and really wanted to go. One of the topics was "youth fishing" so we thought they might get something out of it. We stood on line to get in for about 20-minutes while the seminar area was set-up. When we went to get seats we found some empty in the second row. An employee promptly appeared in front of us and told us to move back - the first five rows were reserved for VIP customers. First, there was hardly anyone in those first five rows and second, how the hell are two little boys going to see from the sixth row plus? When brought this up and the employee physically put his hand on my wife's shoulder and began pushing us out of the row. I sought the Manager but was told he was not in. I asked who was in charge and was told none of the management staff was present (which I did not believe). By the time I went back to the seminar area the rear sections were taken, yet the first five rows still have plenty of seats. We departed. I called and asked for someone to call me back but nobody did. I sent a letter to Bass Pro Headquarters, addressed to Johnny Norris. About a month later, a Regional Manager called me. He apologized and offered me a pre-approved credit card if I filled out the application. Really? Next he said if we would meet him at a set date and time he would let both kids fish in the pond in front of the store - catch and release. We took him up on that and they did catch a few bass, panfish and catfish. Anyway, my boys remember to this day getting shoved out of the VIP section at that seminar so about 10-years later neither one wants anything to do with Bass Pro Shops brand.

The Cabela's acquisition has disgraced Dick and Jim Cabela's name in my opinion.

Stores have to make a profit and I understand that. Over-pricing is just not pro-consumer. I've been to Scheel's in two States recently. They have CCI and Remington caps in #10 and #11 for $9.99 a tin. That's higher than in the past but fair in today's market. The employee was very helpful and also pointed out some coupons to save a few bucks upon reaching a purchase point. In the fly-fishing section, the employee admitted he did not know enough to answer my questions. He called the fly-fishing department manager at home and put him on the phone with me right there in the aisle. My questions were answered, and I made a purchase. This is about the only big store I enjoy nowadays. Otherwise, I try to seek out local mom and pop shops or patronize vendors on the internet with fair prices and good customer service.

Rant over.......
I agree with you. It’s been over 3 years since I went to Bass Pro. Don’t plan on ever going back.

Bro-in law works at BPro headquarters. Sheer volume of purchases astounds me regardless of the item. His advice is simple. If you're in the store, see something you want, best to buy it right then. Some shipments get to individual stores on certain days of the week, but not always. If you know the days, you "might" be able to get something before those are cleaned out.

Otherwise, on-line is the best option.

Too many think if you buy it at BPS or Cabela's it must be better. Bottom line line is stop buying anything at the high-end stores.

My wife and I used to live fairly close to a Cabela's.
Anytime we went there, her first stop was the bargain cave.
They always had good deals on stuff.
I once got a 150 dollar pair of boots for 60 bucks.
From what I've heard, the bargain cave is no longer available.

They'll charge what you (or someone else) will pay.

As for the whining about the cost of one pound of real black, who in their right mind orders just one pound!?! I've said this many times, there are ways to amortize that cost to a reasonable level. Pool your order with a club, or reenactors or friends and order more than one pound and one tin of caps.

My wife and I used to live fairly close to a Cabela's.
Anytime we went there, her first stop was the bargain cave.
They always had good deals on stuff.
I once got a 150 dollar pair of boots for 60 bucks.
From what I've heard, the bargain cave is no longer available.
Went to Bass Pro's headquarters store last month, checked out the "bargain/return" part of the store where, in the past, there were some bargains. Nay-Nay. Pitiful. Even clothes ..unless you wear XS or 3X.

Back