• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Correct Size Nipples for Older Uberti?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZbpBurner

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I've got an Ubert 1861 Navy made in 1968. Sometime in the 80's Uberti changed over their manufacturing, so all screws and many parts are not interchangeable with the older guns.

Does anybody Know For Certain, the correct size nipples for the older mfg Navy?

Your best bet is to take one of the nipples (cones) to ACE hardware store or some other hardware store and try a nut on it. You will then know what the thread pitch and diameter is. I don't do much (if any) metric tapping but I do have a metric and American standard thread gauge and thread checkers so that I can check screw threads -- maybe you could use one also:dunno::thumb:

If I can remember somewhere around the 80s they changed their standard to be more compatible overall. Being a 1968 it's highly possible it's a 6 x .75mm, .236 hole. The newer says to be 12x28 (m5.5x.9) .216 hole. Original .225x32.
If it has a replacement cylinder made after 80 it should have different than original.
Come length is said to be shorter on pre 80s.
Measure the nipple length the subtract the measurement from top to where the thread journal starts. That will be the cone. Measure the diameter of the threads. If close, just over, to .236 it's 6x.75mm. if close, just over .216 it's 12x28. Just over .225 it's.225-32 but unlikely.
Track of Wolf has good discriptions and lists the shorter cone for older guns.

Back