• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Correct Percussion Cap size for Vintage 1860 Colt Army, .44 caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cleljedal

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to cap and ball hand guns but am an avid collector of U.S. Army vintage weapons, my latest acquisition is an 1860 Colt Army, 44 caliber, cap and ball pistol. This one was made in 1863, verified by serial number on the Colt website. I want to be able to shoot this weapon but am not sure what size percussion caps to get, I can find nothing online that tells me exactly what I need. Everything I find discusses modern reproductions or later Colt versions of this pistol. Would appreciate the support of an "old hand" to provide some insight on this issue as I would like to be able to shoot this weapon safely. Thanks in advance

Hello, I am new to cap and ball hand guns but am an avid collector of U.S. Army vintage weapons, my latest acquisition is an 1860 Colt Army, 44 caliber, cap and ball pistol. This one was made in 1863, verified by serial number on the Colt website. I want to be able to shoot this weapon but am not sure what size percussion caps to get, I can find nothing online that tells me exactly what I need. Everything I find discusses modern reproductions or later Colt versions of this pistol. Would appreciate the support of an "old hand" to provide some insight on this issue as I would like to be able to shoot this weapon safely. Thanks in advance
So a Number 10, #10 cap is what is used today on most cap-n-ball nipples in repro revolver cylinders. The #11 are often used on rifles, although muskets will take a "musket cap" and some rifles have after-market nipples to also take the "eared" musket caps.

On an antique revolver, however, sometimes the nipples have been peened by hammer strikes, and are thicker, and thus the #10 cap won't work. Some folks find then that the #11 works well, but often folks replace the nipples to fire their antiques using the #10 caps, keeping the original nipples for display and/or resale.

The problem with nipple replacement is that most repros are European made, and thus the threads on them are modern metric, and won't fit a US made antique revolver. One of the more knowing revolver guys will likely know the thread and a source for replacement Colt nipples.

LD

So a Number 10, #10 cap is what is used today on most cap-n-ball nipples in repro revolver cylinders. The #11 are often used on rifles, although muskets will take a "musket cap" and some rifles have after-market nipples to also take the "eared" musket caps.

On an antique revolver, however, sometimes the nipples have been peened by hammer strikes, and are thicker, and thus the #10 cap won't work. Some folks find then that the #11 works well, but often folks replace the nipples to fire their antiques using the #10 caps, keeping the original nipples for display and/or resale.

The problem with nipple replacement is that most repros are European made, and thus the threads on them are modern metric, and won't fit a US made antique revolver. One of the more knowing revolver guys will likely know the thread and a source for replacement Colt nipples.

LD
if you will search the duelist 1954 video's he talks about his restoration of either an 1851 Navy or 1860 Colt original. He got original Colt thread size nipples from a shop that has them. I do not remember the name but proper nipples are available.
Takes a little searching. That shop also has the ability to drill rusted in nipples out and re thread the cylinders.
Good Luck
Bunk

if you will search the duelist 1954 video's he talks about his restoration of either an 1851 Navy or 1860 Colt original. He got original Colt thread size nipples from a shop that has them. I do not remember the name but proper nipples are available.
Takes a little searching. That shop also has the ability to drill rusted in nipples out and re thread the cylinders.
Good Luck
Bunk
Found it Lodgewood Manufacturing Co.
has a web site
Good luck
Bnk

An internet search will produce suppliers of several manufactures like Treso who make quality replacement nipples that will fit the specs of original Civil War era revolvers.
It's common for the nipples in original firearms to be corroded & stuck , an overnight soak of the cylinder in a 50/50 mix of acetone & auto transmission fluid will free them up.

Was great seeing your historical Colt brought back to life :thumb:
The reason I mentioned replacing nipples on original firearms like your Colt is because over the past 50 plus years of shooting I've found that the 'orifices' on vintage firearms often have eroded to become so oversize that firing has damaged a valuable firearm. The orifice in some vintage nipples become eroded/expanded enough to where firing would kick the hammer back to full-cock & beyond & damage the action & occasionally snap off the hammer.

#10 caps is what you want.

First, do a search on what the real dif between #10 and #11 are. Yes, I have used both on my 1858 BP revolver and in a blind test, no way I could tell the dif

There is a difference between brands of #10 caps. The Remington #10 seem to fit almost everything. CCI #10s are too tight for any of my pistols( virtually all have Slix-Shot nipples). There is a chart somewhere on the web that gives the exact dimensions of each brand of # 10 & 11 caps.

I've been shooting original 1860 Colt and 1858 Remington revolvers for many years. #11 caps work fine. Original type nipples properly fitted by me: no slix shot or special hokum parts used. Have won many matches with both.

Good Luck
Bunk
Lodgewood Manufacturing as I recall
good fid Beliveau has a video about his origonal 1860

To add to the fun, different lots of caps from the same manufacturer can be different sizes

CCI "Rev B" caps are smaller than the A, C and D lots

What's also fun is I bought 2000 CCI caps with the package marked "Rev B" and the Tins are marked Rev C

Older CCI #10s I had are different from new ones, and older Remington #11's are different from current Remington #11's

RWS 1075s are kind of an in between size but I think they stopped making them

Old caps used to come in different sizes like #9

I believe Track of the Wolf sells new nipples for original Colts that fit CCI #11's

Back