• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Correct nipple size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strawstalker/NM

Strawstalker CO & NM
Reaction score
I have a 1851 Colt Navy. It is an original made in 1863-64 serial number #170XXX. It is in great shape except the nipples - as it has three different lengths. It has not ever been shot with the current mix of nipples as four were too long for the pistol as there was not enough space for a cap. I have trimmed & tapered all four of the long nipples to the length of the two shorter nipples (as they fit and look to be old). The cylinder Now has space to turn with caps on. I did notice the two short nipples have rounded bottoms and are not cut flat as all the nipples for my modern muzzleloader have. I loaded and fired several rounds of caps - all is well. I want to order a new set of nipples for this old pistol. The current nipples take a #10 cap and appear to have standard (not metric) thread. What say you fellows on the Forum - original, 1851 Navy,.36 cal. - what is the correct nipple size and threads & where can I purchase some? Thanks in advance for your reply's. Dan Bromley, The Strawstalker

If it were mine I would leave it alone and buy a $200 reproduction to shoot and mess with that !

The old Dixie Gunworks catalog says there are two nipples that were used by the old original Colt pistols.

Both of them used #12-28 (.216-28 UNF) threads and there was a short nipple and a long one.

The guns made for the USA used the short nipples.

Track of the Wolf should have these for sale.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/807/1

On these old original guns, it's hard to say what has been done to them over the years.
It's possible the holes for the nipples were re-threaded to a different size so it is a good idea to take one of the nipples that fits down to an hardware store or a auto parts store.
They can measure the threads and tell you exactly what you have before you order the wrong size.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zonie:

Thanks for the response. I had planned to take out the nipples and run them to the hardware store on Tuesday to verify the threads. As I said in my post the gun had 4-nipples that were too long and 2-shorter ones that looked more correct to the pistol. These 2 shorter ones were also domed at the bottom instead of being flush like all of my other nipples. I have shot black since 1976 and never seen any nipples like these.

I will check with both sources either Tuesday or Wednesday and see what is in stock.

Thanks for your help. Dan Bromley

Back