• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

correct color brown wool for regimental coat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonnyboy

32 Cal.
Reaction score
hello, I am having a hard time to find the correct brown color wool for the 24th conn regimental coat. I have called my custom tailor for help, but she cannot seem to find the correct brown color for our unit. Can anybody direct me for a source to find correct color an thickness for this coat?.....sonny :surrender:

There may be other sources, but Woolrich does make several browns suitable for regimental coats. They have an extensive line for CW reenactment, but the Battlefield Brown is probably too dark, and the lighter browns such as Deer Hair and Depot Tan are made to duplicate "butternut" brown on the Confederate side.

I'd seriously consider going with their Rust color fabric.

BUT you should contact them and ask them for color swatches instead of trusting the computer screen, to be sure about color as the fabric isn't cheap by any means. Compare those colors with what your documentation shows.

Note that the color of the cloth when the coat was first made would've changed over time, as sunlight and the fact that the various historic sources for the cloth would not have matched the dye used. So a proper impression (imho) should have variations in the brown among the private men.

LD

Back