• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cornfield Buck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a friend with property here in Idaho. He manages the deer really well and gave permission to try and get some mule deer spikes out of the gene pool. I grabbed my JW Donelson #22 .54 and went to work.
This old spike stopped at 30 yards +/-. My friend said "Shoot that deer." So I did. 70 hrs of ffg and the ball sailed through.
Not a yearling, but a very old mature buck with worn and missing teeth. Perfect buck take out of the herd.
Next is whitetail in 3 weeks!

IMG_20211007_163440.jpg
IMG_20211007_163428.jpg

Last edited:
I would love to see a photo of the jaw. Collecting jaws to me is far more interesting than collecting sheds.

I would love to see a photo of the jaw. Collecting jaws to me is far more interesting than collecting sheds.
Me too. I’d have shot that deer and been tickled to death with him, but everything about him (head size, body shape, antlers, etc) says he’s about 1.5 years old. No matter what, congrats on killing a fine buck. Beautiful gun also.

Good stuff.
Was it a surprise to have it so close or was that expected?

I note lots of American hunters shoot their rifles at very short ranges. I guess via the use of high seats or ladderstands etc.
In no way is this a criticism but why not a smoothbore. Even a majestic load of buckshot?

Good stuff.
Was it a surprise to have it so close or was that expected?

I note lots of American hunters shoot their rifles at very short ranges. I guess via the use of high seats or ladderstands etc.
In no way is this a criticism but why not a smoothbore. Even a majestic load of buckshot?
Rifles here to me seem more traditional so not as many smoothbores are used. Many states outlaw multiple projectiles when hunting deer. IE: buckshot. Many confuse (think lawyers and government) buckshot with birdshot and thus not a human kill. I think you can relate to that part of the thinking if i recall. Plus so many here, factory guns, are made rifle only because you might shoot 100 yds and need the accuracy. Smoothies are more custom guns and not mass produced. Just 2 cents worth. Others will chime in real shortly i bet.

Back