• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Corn Meal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm currently running corn meal in my Pedersoli 20g flintlock SXS. I shoot a square load and it smokes the clays if I get on them quick enough, otherwise if I'm not leading well, I get a "good" break.

What is the cornmeal loading sequence? Powder, same amount cornmeal, same amount shot, over-shot card? Or is there and over-powder card or a different amount of one thing or another? I've tried it but wasn't convinced and I'd like to get back to it.

What is the cornmeal loading sequence? Powder, same amount cornmeal, same amount shot, over-shot card? Or is there and over-powder card or a different amount of one thing or another? I've tried it but wasn't convinced and I'd like to get back to it.
I loaded powder, thin over shot card, 10 grains less CM, 1 1/4 oz #6 topped off finally with a thin over shot card. Nice even pattern out of my 12 ga Underhammer.

Attachments

• DAD30B95-4D6D-4AA3-A31D-E067713516CE.jpeg
    DAD30B95-4D6D-4AA3-A31D-E067713516CE.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 0

Equal volume of powder, corn meal, shot topped off with an overshot wad. I just use my adjustable powder measure set to 75gr (FFg) for the powder and for the corn meal and shot, square load.

I use cornmeal as a buffer with the shot when shooting bismuth. So powder - cushion wad - shot with cornmeal - OP card. I use a 20-ga wad to scoop the cornmeal. About 1 scoop full is what I use. My patterns without it are terrible. My patterns with it are okay to about 25 yards.

I use cornmeal as a buffer with the shot when shooting bismuth. So powder - cushion wad - shot with cornmeal - OP card. I use a 20-ga wad to scoop the cornmeal. About 1 scoop full is what I use. My patterns without it are terrible. My patterns with it are okay to about 25 yards.
Get rid of the cushion wad.

Cornmeal worked for my .58 smoothie, but I found better patterns with a charge, lubed wad, shot, and another lubed wad. Cornmeal also helped my prb loads

Back