• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

corn cob pipe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flint50

45 Cal.
Reaction score
was the corn cob pipe an actual part of the possible bag, or is it just hollywood? If it is a part of the possible bag, how is one made?

I don't know how far back the corn cob pie goes, but I found this.

In 1869 Henry Tibbe, a Dutch immigrant woodworker, first began production of the corn cob pipe. Legend has it that a local farmer whittled a pipe out of corn cob and liked it so much he asked Henry Tibbe to try turning some on his lathe. The farmer was well-pleased with his pipes so Henry made a few more and put them for sale in his shop. They proved to be such a fast selling item that soon Tibbe spent more time making pipes for his customers than working with wood. Soon Tibbe went into full time production of corn cob pipes. In 1907, the H. Tibbe & Son Co. became the Missouri Meerschaum Company.

Flint 50 I made one,get large cob,cut out the pith ,leave bottom in.Get piece of elder-berry for stem,push out the pith in stem.Cut hole for stem and insert in cob bowl.You don't use all of the cob yust the bigger part toward the bottom.You got to get a large cob or pipe won't be too big. I still have mine,I smoke Mullien leaves in it once in a while. Dilly

Did you have to fire proof the cob pipe? I have been thinking of making one and maybe using egg glass (sodium silicate) for fire proofing, as it is totally inert. I know it is used for wood fire proofing, a good soaking, and it more or less petrifies the wood once dried.

I used to smoke a commercial corncob and I doubt it was 'fireproofed'. The char in the bowl is all you need.

I believe the commercial ones were "plastered" to lengthen their service life (dipped in plaster of paris before cutting the bowl & stem holes & sanding to shape). Doubt the homespun originals were. As mentioned, the char holds up well once it's broken in.

Stumpkiller said:
I believe the commercial ones were "plastered" to lengthen their service life (dipped in plaster of paris before cutting the bowl & stem holes & sanding to shape).

Depends on what you smoke in them, you and your pipe could get plastered... :rotf:

ahem, Do corn cob pipes make the smoke taste of corn?

That would be "plaster of Jamaica" not plaster of Paris. Using that in your corncobb pipe produces :grin: :confused: :snore:

FYI, according to Missouri Meerschaum, they grow a special kind of corn. After the kernels are taken off and sold, the cobs are dried, bored and smoothed. The plaster is used to fill in gaps in the outside of the cob. Bamboo stems are used on the best ones. I have not been able to find when men started smoking corn cobs, however. They do taste wonderful with a heavy latakia-loaded English blend. :v graybeard

when I was in highschool, me and my buddies smoked out of one that my country-boy pal made all the time. It lasted for years until he broke it or something. we called it the peace'n pipe.

Come to think of it...some of the tobacco we smoked outta that thing was just as old. AND stale.

I like the Super Value Black Cavendish get across the river on the Indian res, 12 ounce bag for 9 bucks. It is actually better than the high dollar Black Cavendish I used to pay $2.00 an ounce at a tobacco shop.

I was a pipe smoker a few years back and once in a while I'd go buy a half a dozen of those corncob pipes they don't last long but while they are fresh they smoke so cool and clean . They are a pleasure to smoke , when they started to get harsh I'd toss them and grab another they was only a dollar .

Boy !!! I used to smoke corn cobs and I'll always remember them as very pleasent. But I have not smoked for 40 yrs last Oct. but I still remember. :thumbsup:

I don't know how far back they go but Missouri Meerschaum, which was Bueschers for decades, is only about an hour from me and the largest corn cob pipe factory in the world, if not the only one left. I smoked a pipe until December '04 and next to an old Falcon my Dad smoked in the Korean War a cob has always been my favorite. They'll swell up and split on you but until they do they're about the best. I have a real meerschaum and it doesn't smoke as well as the cob. I revert back to a pipe once in a great while when fly fishing. There's just something contemplative about a pipe. Carter Hall was always my tobacco of choice.

Vic

sharps4590 said:
**SNIP** I revert back to a pipe once in a great while when fly fishing. There's just something contemplative about a pipe. Carter Hall was always my tobacco of choice.

Vic

Well you know of course that you have to fish a nice, slow, bamboo rod when you're smoking that pipe. Pipe smoking helps with the timing of your cast....make the backcast......light your pipe...then make your forward cast. Graphite rods are just too fast and mess up your pipe smokin' ... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

-------------------------------------------
Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

I've smoked a pipe for over 55 years now so I think I can give some good advice. I also made myself so 20 out of briar..but getting back to the cob. No, you don't have to do anything to them. No "fireproofing"...the thing with any pipe wood or cob, is to break in in slow and easy. Pipe smoking done correctly is about as slow a thing I know of. What you want to do ideally is to build up a "char", this is composed basically of carbon and is done by the interaction between the pipe and the tobacco when it has been lit. Now, a cob will not last as long as a briar but neither does it cost as much. One word of advise...and this is just my opinion...go with a burley tobacco or as someone here mentioned a english blend. Stay away from the aromatics..aromatics meaning the vanilla, cherry and whatever else they use to flavor some tobaccos. Those tobaccos smoke a lot wetter than a non aromatic tobacco and given the makeup of a cob, it will last longer if you don't use a flavored tobacco.

It makes perfect sense that the flavord tobacos would burn wetter than the others I wish I would have known that when I was a smoker . Now I'm tempted to dig up one of my old pipes just for old times sake . nah on second thought I'll just think back on the many good memories of the pipes smoked in the past , it sure was a wonderful past time . Never did see anything apealing about the cigarret thow I did enjoy an ocasional cigar . From reading your post oomcurt you do know your pipes and tobacos .

It makes perfect sense that the flavord tobacos would burn wetter than the others I wish I would have known that when I was a smoker . Now I'm tempted to dig up one of my old pipes just for old times sake . nah on second thought I'll just think back on the many good memories of the pipes smoked in the past , it sure was a wonderful past time . Never did see anything apealing about the cigarret thow I did enjoy an ocasional cigar . From reading your post oomcurt you do know your pipes and tobacos .

twisted.....how did you know I fish bamboo? I also use silk on my 5 wt. Orvis. Wish that stuff hadn't gotten so outrageously expensive, I'd have a 6 and 8 wt. also.

You obviously have bamboo experience....

Vic

I smoke a blended tobacco that consists of Virginia Cavendish( sometimes called Golden cavendish) and Black Cavendish, both soaked in Vanilla, that is then cut with 5-10% burley, by volume. It is a cool smoke, with no bite, smells and tastes good, and does no harm to corn cob pipes. I could get 2-3 years out of my corn cobs. However, here is very dry wintery Central Illinois, the cobs tend to split during the winter months no matter what I have tried to do. Thank God I have never paid more than $5.00 for one.

Back