• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

corn cakes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
I was interested in the corn cakes described in this reference, so I decided to try a version. It's not something I would try on a trek, if I had corn on the cob there I would just boil or roast it on a stick. I just wondered what it might be like.

_Indian Captivity: A true narrative of the capture of Rev. O. M. Spencer by the Indians, in the neighborhood of Cincinnati_ , in 1792

"For bread, besides that prepared in the ordinary way from corn meal, we had some made of the green corn, cut from the cob and pounded in a mortar until it was brought to the consistency of thick cream, then being salted and poured into a sort of mould of an oblong form, more than half the length and twice the thickness of a man’s hand, made of corn leaves, and baked in the ashes, was very palatable."

I used regular sweet corn, pureed it coarsely and wrapped it in corn shucks as a mold. To thicken it, I added some of my rockahominy, parched and ground dried corn. I just baked it in a toaster oven for 15 minutes, and it worked pretty well, good caramelized corn flavor. They used maple syrup, so I drizzled a bit over it and declared the test a success.

Spence

Latest posts

Back