• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Corn Bread & Buttermilk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can use it to make corn bread so i don;'t see where muffins would be any different.

Corn bread is also delicious when consumed with a glass of buttermilk.

Many add a little extra baking soda when using buttermilk instead of regular milk in baking cornbread.

Interesting question. I have a great cornbread recipe that I've been using for years, but I use skim milk (because that's all we normally have in the house). A quick google search revealed that folks do use buttermilk in cornbread biscuits sometimes, but some recommend that you also add baking soda too, as the extra acidity in the buttermilk seems to "require" that.

I'm no chemist, and I'm really just a kitchen cook (not a chef). I love to cook though, so I may try this sometime. Buttermilk in biscuits (instead of milk) is quite common and tends to fluff them up a bit more. Cornbread, however, is not a "fluffy" biscuit, so maybe that's why they recommend the baking soda?

I don't know about other cooks , but my wife of nearly 50 yrs has baked cornbread at least twice a week and she has never used baking soda in her cornbread and has always always used buttermilk. She does though use self rising meal, generally Martha White, with Hot Rize Plus. Never put flour in your cornbread. It makes it into some mongrel, neither cornbread, nor biscuit.
Dave

Can you use buttermilk in making corn bread muffins?
You bet! I agree with Ames and use nothing but buttermilk for making cornbread. No baking soda and use BAKING POWDER if the cornmeal is NOT self rising. I always buy Martha Whites self rising WHITE cornmeal or the same in Aunt Jemima's. You can buy yellow cornmeal also but true cornbread southern style is white. I'm from Tennessee and been living in Texas the last 40 years and down here most Texans use yellow corn meal due to the Mexican influence. Most corn muffins I've seen are made with yellow meal, however, whatever you use you should bake it in a cast iron skillet with some melted lard. Use a well seasoned skillet and bake in an oven at 425 deg. for about 25 min.........don't over bake it or it will come out too dry.

I make mine with a crunchy crust on the bottom and eaten with a bowl of black eyes, pintos, Great Northern or any other beans seasoned with some smoked hog jowl, bacon ends, fatback and some fresh garlic and onion......mmmmmmm it'il make you slap your mama and leave home!
I retired from the fire dept. after 37 years and every shift we had beans and cornbread for lunch and I usually did the cooking for 15 famished firemen and a battalion chief and everyone loved my beans and cornbread.......of course a fireman will eat anything put on a plate in front of him! LOL!

Sooooo..........what's in y'alls oven?

You can use it to make corn bread so i don;'t see where muffins would be any different.

Corn bread is also delicious when consumed with a glass of buttermilk.

Many add a little extra baking soda when using buttermilk instead of regular milk in baking cornbread.
Respectfully, I think you mean baking powder.

Well I made up a batch of cornbread muffins using buttermilk last night and they are great (wife thinks so too). I couldn't imagine adding something that tastes so gosh awful could improve anything but it did. Actually I was expecting them to taste so bad they could be improved by making them with kerosene. :D Our Airedale loves them, as a matter of fact he was right under my elbow from the time I started mixing the batter. They couldn't have received a higher recommendation than that.

Take a finger dip of baking powder, or chomp down on a pepper corn or a garlic clove. Bad tasting thing can be mixed in to food a lot to make it tasty.
I can’t eat liver, makes me gag, one of the few foods that does. But I can eat a good pate or brunswagier. Or add liver to a stew and enjoy it all day.

When I was growing up we were very poor and had a large family mom made biscuits every morning and my dad made a pone of cornbread every evening. We would smash the cornbread in a bowl and pour buttermilk on it. The biscuits were eaten for breakfast and I would take a couple of the leftovers and put a thick slice of onion on it with mayonaise salt and pepper and wrap it up and carry it on the trapline or into the woods for lunch. Best times of my life.

I grew up on cornbread and buttermilk. I make cornbread using Martha White self-rising corn meal, an egg, and buttermilk. I put about a tablespoon of bacon grease in the mix- my cast-iron skillet has bacon grease in it all the time- this skillet is over a hundred years old. That's all that my Grandparents left me but I'd get violent if somebody tried to take it. It's never been washed- after I bake the pone, I turn it out on a plate, wipe the skillet out with a paper towel and put some bacon grease back in it. Folks who know anything about cornbread prefer buttermilk and not the fat-free imitation- real buttermilk with the flakes of butter visible in it.

When I was growing up we were very poor and had a large family mom made biscuits every morning and my dad made a pone of cornbread every evening. We would smash the cornbread in a bowl and pour buttermilk on it. The biscuits were eaten for breakfast and I would take a couple of the leftovers and put a thick slice of onion on it with mayonaise salt and pepper and wrap it up and carry it on the trapline or into the woods for lunch. Best times of my life.
Yep- I feel sorry for folks who've never experienced this treasure.

Latest posts

Back