• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Corn Beef

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carbon 6

Cannon
Reaction score
Just in time for St. Patty's

default.jpg

Yep, that's why they came to America.

Actually I think they were fleeing famine conditions first, as there were several times-of-famine prior to The Great Famine, though poverty was part of the problem. :D The English wanted the population reduced and the grazing area for sheep increase. Upon arrival to America, they found a better chance to escape poverty, but it took a while to get out of it. "Irish need not apply" was not just a 19th century thing. ;)

For folks who follow the above directions be sure you get molasses that is not sulfured molasses.:D

LD

I also have a more modern recipe from 1974 published by Kerr canning company if anyone is interested.

Just made 10lbs.
1/2 cup Mortens Tender Quick
1/2 cup pickling salt
2 Tablespoons pickling spice
2 to 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
3 to 5 lbs. meat. ( I've used everything from geese, chicken, turkey, beef, deer,and elk. any of the red meats taste the same. Or use any roadkill you might find. Raccoon is good too!)
Combine all but meat bring to a boil.( I use just enough water to cover the meat.) Cool to room temperature,put in meat brine for 5 to 10 days turning daily.
Boil meat in clean water and that's it.

Bon Appetite
Jerry

+Fleeing the famine would have been early 1800's But there was an influx of something called the Scotch-Irish about 1740 ish to the Frontier in PA. Welcomed and given cheap land on the frontier so they would be a buffer between the French & Indians and the Amish and Mennonite, who would not fight to defend the frontier.

+Fleeing the famine would have been early 1800's But there was an influx of something called the Scotch-Irish about 1740 ish to the Frontier in PA. Welcomed and given cheap land on the frontier so they would be a buffer between the French & Indians and the Amish and Mennonite, who would not fight to defend the frontier.

Post different corned beef recipes.

Later than early 1800s. Potato famine was 1849. The Scots-Irish were Scots from Ulster who immigrated in the 1700s, protestants. They spread south.

Looks like this thread has made a left turn into the sewer like the spam thread did.
I agree - people discussing history is terrible....(I wish I had a "head-slap" emoji)

I'm actually interested in the history being discussed.

Last edited:
I understand that corned beef and cabbage is a completely American dish, although eaten inIrish communities here. Not everyone in Ireland were starving. Infact wheat was the primary export of Ireland during the famine. That said, I understand people who could afford to eat well at that time we’re not eating corned beef and cabbage

Corned beef
Kerr 1974

100 pounds of boned meat
8 pounds coarse salt (not iodized)
4 pounds granulated sugar (white or brown)
2 ounce saltpeter
2 ounce baking soda
4 gallons water
Cut meat into convenient sized pieces of uniform thickness.sprinkle a layer of salt on the bottom of a thoroughly cleaned container.rub salt all over each piece of meat. Pack close together in container in a layer 5 to 6 inches thick. Alternate layers of salt and meat, covering the top layer with considerable salt. Cover and let stand for 24 hours. dissolve sugar, saltpeter and soda in the water. Pour over meat. Meat must be kept under the brine. if any meat is not covered with brine, both meat and brine will spoil quickly. product must be kept in cool, dry and well ventilated place. Temperature of 40 degrees is preferable.
If Brine appears ropy at any time, or does not drip freely from your finger, remove the meat and wash vigorously with stiff brush and warm water. thoroughly wash the container. Then repack and cover with fresh brine, using only 6 pounds of salt. Keep meat in brine for 30-40 days. remove meat, wash and can.
After beef has been corned, remove from the brine; soak 2 hours in clear water. changing water once.; Boil slowly for 1/2 hour; Remove from boiling water; Pack in Kerr jars to within 1 inch of top and add 3 or 4 tablespoons of liquid in which meat was boiled in. Put on lid , screw band and firmly tighten.
Process pints 75 minutes
quarts 90 minutes
10 pounds of pressure.

Back