• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Core Removal from Horns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All

Here are a pair of goat horns I want to send out for a project I have in mind. But first they need the cores removed. Is there an easy way to do this ? Or do any of you guys know someone who can ? Thanks for any help.

Rick
001 (Medium).JPG
001 (Medium) (2).JPG

Run a screw into the core and use the screw as a handle to pull out the core. You may need to wait until the tissue between the bone core and horn sheath deteriorates enough to let go.

You can also boil the horns. Get them heated all the way through. Then hold them by the tips and rap the base ends a couple of times on a 2 X 4 or something similar so as not to damage the end. The core usually pops right out. You might have to repeat the boil. I’ve done this with still bloody horns fresh from the slaughter house.

If you do boil them, do it outside, away from the house if you want peace....

Thank you guys for the extra tips. Much appreciated. They are old enough to already see the cores deteriorating. So I'm letting them soak for about a week, then try the boil method - outdoors !! noted. LOL How long do you think I should leave it at boil ?
These horns are actually from Tibetan goat. They're too small of diameter for a regular, or even a day horn. But thought they would look good as priming horns for my "Eastern" style guns. Thanks again.

Rick

I've used them for primer horns mostly, though I did have one big enough for a main horn once. They are particularly aromatic, even more so than their bovine cousins. Stay up wind, it will burn its way into your olfactories taking days to subside! Good luck, its worth the effort.
Robby

BUMP !! LOL Ok finally got around to getting this done. Cores are now removed. Is there a good way to clean the insides after the core is removed ? Thanks.

Rick

BUMP !! LOL Ok finally got around to getting this done. Cores are now removed. Is there a good way to clean the insides after the core is removed ? Thanks.

Rick
I used a bleach/water soak (inside) and an old toothbrush.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back