Corduroy pants?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Kansas Kid

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Would it be out of place to use brown corduroy for a pair of pants styled for the RMFT era?

Kansas Kid

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Thanks Jim, I have seen the material dates way back just didn’t know if it would create grumbling and wrinkled faces in a 1800-1840 setting.

Kansas Kid

32 Cal.
Reaction score
West of St Lewy. I have bartered for a couple shirts and pants with lining to be made. So basically fur trade era working my way to the mountains of Colorado. I’m within spitting distance of the Oregon trail / Santa Fe trail and one of Sublett’s crossings

Last edited:

tenngun

Cannon
Reaction score
Cord was a working mans clothing, however it was very popular with officers at sea, naval and merchant. It was wider then today’s but I don’t know how it compares to wide wale cord you can find today. It was very popular in England.
“In 1847,me corduroy britches I put on, me corduroy britches I put on and went working on the rail road, the rail road”

Kansas Kid

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Thanks guys, them are some decent looking pants. I’ve been looking around the web for examples also. I have a drop front pattern on hand as we’ll as a fly front.

tenngun

Cannon
Reaction score
You can go multi ways, narrow fall were still to be seen, broad fall and very broad fall and openings at the sides were known.

Kansas Kid

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Thanks, I was leary of the fabric but think I will have her go ahead with it after I seen it and looked at examples online. So one pair heavy cotton and one cord with both having a liner.

Reaction score
I don't think broad or narrow fall trousers would be more appropriate for a fur trade persona than the narrow button fly trousers as seen at the link above. There probably was quite a mix of styles. A man leaving home on the farm in Missouri to head to the mounts to seek his fortune would have left home wearing his plowing clothes, which could have been any style.

Back when I was in a club and putting together clothing for a persona, I went for a button up fly. I was working on the persona of a discharged dragoon from Fort Scott heading towards Taos and the fur trade of the southern Rockies. As far as I could learn dragoon issue trousers were made with a button fly.