• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Copy of a Lovely Chambers Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That level of craftsmanship just leaves me in awe......hats off to you sir. :hatsoff:

Carving is about as sculpted as I want it to be......needs some final refinements and, for me the hardest part, smoothing the background.........

Chambers%20Copy%2047_zpsvlewvi2a.jpg

To take a break from the tedium of carving, I scraped the butt plate with the angled edge of a box cutter blade.  It takes off brass more rapidly and more smoothly than a file and leaves a finish that does not take too much more work with fine abrasive paper.

Chambers%20Copy%2049_zps4ffi8sxw.jpg

Chambers%20Copy%2048_zpsyg6ovphm.jpg

Rear sight is installed......

Chambers%20Copy%2050_zpsxtzcl6qe.jpg

Front sight.........

Chambers%20Copy%2051_zpsc2havuhu.jpg

Lock parts case hardened and ready for final finish........

Chambers%20Copy%2052_zpszmh7lueu.jpg

Your "work" is that of a gifted artisan and your previous builds and this one all reflect your artistic ability and gun making skills.

But...I have one question....why are you making a copy of a Jim Chambers LR? Just curious.

If I were Jim Chambers, I would be flattered to have someone of equal skills replicating one of my LRs....Fred

Flehto,

As of late I have been copying rifles made by makers who's work I admire just to expand my own experience base and design options. A while back, I made a copy of a rather plain but beautiful Jim Kibler rifle (partially covered on this forum here: "The rifle with the meteor sights" (Topic#291292)

I am also preparing to build copies of a Bill Shipman rifle and a few others

As usual, Dave, just outstanding beyond words. I don't know how you do work that fine in what seems like such a small amount of time. I guess it's something like Mozart writing perfect symphonies with no markups on the original scores in a day or two. A gift. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Thank you all for the kind replies and the votes of confidence. As I am still up to my eyeballs in aerospace work, I only manage to work on a long rifle or powder horn in short bursts. So I will usually get a fair amount done and then have to lay down the tools for a good while as I go back to earning a living. At any rate, I hope to have this rifle and the blunderbuss I am working on done fairly soon. Wish me luck.

:eek:ff

I like the hat (could never find one that fit - my head is tall and narrow - Audie Murphy's hat fits me ... a long story)

neat video ... now I understand things better ...

by the way, the shape of the flame looked somehow familiar ... is there a connection I ought to be making?

Gun building has taken a back set to life for several months. However, I am anxious to finish this copy of a Jim Chambers rifle and the last big hurtle is the elaborate patch box.  I have had to modify the profile somewhat because I was using up surplus parts and used a butt plate that is significantly different from the one Jim used.  However, the domed door had to go in first, so here is the recent, minor progress toward finishing the rifle.  

Chambers%20Copy%2054_zpsi7cw72j8.jpg

Chambers%20Copy%2053_zpsd6oumivn.jpg

Cutting out the top and side plates now along with the silver inserts.

Ok.....I need to clear the work bench of all the half finished projects I have had sitting around for a year....so I can load it up with another batch of half finished projects !!!  I realized that this Chambers copy is complete except for the patch box and the finishing operations.  I started in again on the patch box only to realize that I cut the opening of the box a little too large for the type of release mechanism I wanted to use.  I didn't leave enough wood at the rear end of the box

Chambers%20Copy%2057_zpsm1x8fdec.jpg

After I removed wood for the release spring mechanism, I had broken through the wall to the inside of the box.

Chambers%20Copy%2058_zpsg1gtrjur.jpg

To recover the mistake, I made a patch that forms a new rear wall on the inside of the box cavity.

Chambers%20Copy%2059_zpsp8jox5zc.jpg

Chambers%20Copy%2060_zpsr5q5e5tv.jpg

Chambers%20Copy%2061_zpscidkykpq.jpg

Having made that repair, I cut out the side plates and soldered in the silver flower parts.  Just need to complete the inletting and the engraving on the box now.

Chambers%20Copy%2062_zpsvngzmwfx.jpg

Chambers%20Copy%2063_zpsysblsssh.jpg

All the parts of the patch box are fitted, inletted, and ready for engraving.  I have to say, this particular patch box was a real pain in the......well.....neck.  I have never had to fiddle with a patch box so long and hard. Gives me an even greater appreciation for Jim's skills as displayed on the original rifle he built.

Chambers%20Copy%2064_zps4xu9ta7f.jpg

Chambers%20Copy%2065_zpsgblyyrrn.jpg

Next step is to finish the final engraving on this rifle on the patch box parts.  Staining and finishing to follow that.....and I will be happy to have this rifle finally finished.

Back