• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Copperized Lead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heelerau

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Gents, have any of you tried the above for round ball or bullets for say a .451 Volunteer or Whitworth rifle? I imagine that it would be to hard for Minnies' or Pritchett bullets. Also will it likely damage either aluminium or brass mould blocks?

Cheers

Heelerau

I've used #2 babbitt (with an appreciable amount of copper in it) to harden lead alloys... but that's all I know about casting with copper. The copper makes it more difficult to get good fill out, needing higher temperatures. Really have to keep fluxing and stirring the pot too.

I've seen instructions for temperature control for "de-coppering" the mix (separates out the copper) to make it easier to cast with but I haven't done it except by accident.

On another forum you said it was roofing material....I'm curious what the hardness is.

Also is this a copper matrix or simply a copper clad material.

Heelerau said:
Gents, have any of you tried the above for round ball or bullets for say a .451 Volunteer or Whitworth rifle? I imagine that it would be to hard for Minnies' or Pritchett bullets. Also will it likely damage either aluminium or brass mould blocks?

Cheers

Heelerau

If you have a lot of it and want a hardness test. I can do it for you. Just send me three bullets and I can get it done.

With out seeing it, I would guess that it is lead coated copper roofing material.....Melting it would be difficult and the yield would probably be quite low.
If it is an alloy....it's probably a lost cause...I don't think you could separate the lead and most if not all copper lead alloys are less than 10% lead.

Might be fun to experiment with though.....

Latest posts

Back