• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cool rabbits.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When we get a cool blast arriving from Russia in February one of my favourite pass times is to wrap up warm and stalk any rabbits braving the cold.
In the biting wind and light snow flurries I stalked the briers.
I missed a couple but got a couple.
One around thirty and one at three yards!
None were shot on the wing sorry.
20210207_144239.jpg

I like buffalo chicken wings, never had rabbit wings might have to look for some of the rascals. Good hunt brit rabbits are my second favorite hunt, I live to hunt deer. I have a buddy working on a hog hunt pretty excited about that also.

She was. She had her fun the day before 👍
Another great hunt!

If she's anything like my dogs, if they don't go, they are so excited to smell everything when I get back. I always gut my stuff right away in the field, but I bring the hearts and livers back for them for a treat. They won't leave me alone until they get some.

When we get a cool blast arriving from Russia in February one of my favourite pass times is to wrap up warm and stalk any rabbits braving the cold.
In the biting wind and light snow flurries I stalked the briers.
I missed a couple but got a couple.
One around thirty and one at three yards!
None were shot on the wing sorry.
View attachment 62751
When bunnies fly... 😁

Still receiving the Russian artic blast and not having cleaned the smoothrifle for a week but merely greasing the bore I set off for more rabbit hunting.
It wasnt easy. Four hours non stop hunting the few sheltered spots I could find? I struggled to find any.
Two eluded me after bumping them up and two fell.
The first emerged from its hole as I stalked the timber.
20210213_183230.jpg

The second emerged from a hedge as night fall started. I saw it from 200yds plus and carefully made my way around him to get the wind right.
I found a gap in the hedge and crawled up to the gap. It was awkward him being to my right.
I was contemplating a left handed shot when he hopped further out helping me out. The heavy payload of shot gave a good healthy recoil and flattened the 27yard ( or so) rabbit.
20210213_183144.jpg

This rabbit was covered in scars. The bucks have given him a real going over. It's tough in the rabbit world. They are quite savage to each other.
I love being in the field. I found pheasants, snipe and woodcock. Oh and a large hawk swooped at a magpie that crashed itself into thick cover to evade.
20210213_182646.jpg

Our rabbit season is winding down, been really nasty weather any way, lots of rain, snow and right now sleeting. Would of liked to get out one more time if the weather lets up a bit. As too the rabbits being scared up the bucks this time of year fight a lot it is not un-common to see them with cuts and splits on their ears. Good hunting Brit.

Good shooting, stalking would be fun here right now with all the snow.

Is that mask to keep from you spreading covid to the rabbits? :rolleyes:
The mask buys valuable seconds while hunting.
They are use to seeing a humans face here, they seem to be switched on to it. By covering up they often dont react the same and tolerate me for a few vital seconds more.
Foxs are the same and deer.

I giggle when I see folk with the latest camo jacket on but leave their big white face glowing!

Britsmoothy,

I love that rifle. Did Dixie Gun Works only sell the smoothbore version in the U.K.?

Those are tasty lookin' wabbits. Do you ever make Hasenpfeffer out of your wabbits?

How popular is hunting rabbits in front of hounds over there? Around here the rabbit hunters with beagles wont shoot on the jump, only once the dogs have circled the rabbit back to the shooters. This time of year, the bucks can put on some big runs, the females seem to hole up rather quickly.

Britsmoothy,

I love that rifle. Did Dixie Gun Works only sell the smoothbore version in the U.K.?

Those are tasty lookin' wabbits. Do you ever make Hasenpfeffer out of your wabbits?
Many makes offered a smoothbore variant because of our licensing structures. It doesn't seem so popular an option anymore though old ones still seem to turn up.

I do make a version of hasenpfeffer I guess. I just go with my mood when cooking them.

How popular is hunting rabbits in front of hounds over there? Around here the rabbit hunters with beagles wont shoot on the jump, only once the dogs have circled the rabbit back to the shooters. This time of year, the bucks can put on some big runs, the females seem to hole up rather quickly.
It doesn't seem popular any more using beagles, basset or harriers but lurchers are used still and whippets.

Bolting rabbits with ferrets to gun or long dog is exciting.

Back