• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cool Little Hopkins and Allen “The Offhand” Underhammer.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

granth

40 Cal
Reaction score
Today me and my dad bought a nice little underhammer from one of the guys who is in our muzzleloading club (shoutout to Mike at the White Smoke Brigade!). It’s .44 cal and we cast probably 400 balls for it and we got some caps. Can’t wait to shoot it!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Nice! I had one and used to run the Winter primitive muzzleloading snowshoe biathlons with one, very light, accurate & handy !!! until I gave up ‘cap guns’ for flinters and anything of an earlier ignition type.

I have the Heritage model and an affinity for underhammers. Bought mine over 55 years ago and still have it. Treasure that good gun.

Had one in 58,was a nice rifle and shot well, only got rid of it due to Virginia law at the time. I always used a forearm length bowers brace to help with cap splintrs

Congrats!! I've never fired one, but I recall their reputation for being accurate shooters all the way back in the 1960's.

Rick

I've had one (on my second) for well over 50 years in .45. CAUTION - THE PIN THAT HOLDS THE BARREL TO THE RECEIVER IS TAPERED.

If you drive it out to remove the barrel, be certain to replace it the same way it came out. Also - the buttstock is prone to cracking if over zealous ramming a charge home occurs. The nipples are, as mentioned earlier - not common. Get a couple correct ones for spares. I'd sooner part with my dog than my Heritage .45.

Today me and my dad bought a nice little underhammer from one of the guys who is in our muzzleloading club (shoutout to Mike at the White Smoke Brigade!). It’s .44 cal and we cast probably 400 balls for it and we got some caps. Can’t wait to shoot it!View attachment 143066View attachment 143067View attachment 143068View attachment 143069View attachment 143070
I have about seven under hammer guns and being left handed I love them . One is a bench rifle that weighs over 30 pounds. Just need to get them out and shoot more often.

Back when I was a young one (late '50s-early '60s), my doctor's office had copies of the American Rifleman in the waiting room. I well remember the pictures of the H&A underhammer rifles. I was already wanting a muzzle loader, due to watching reruns of Davy Crockett. Never got one; started out with a Zoli Zouave when I was 15. 53 years later, I'm still hooked on front stuffers!

Back