• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cooked deer's head

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another tasty treat is stuffed Deer heart - the mother of a friend filled the cavity (trim away the valves and blood vessel roots) with stuffing and cooked the heart in a pressure-cooker. Delicious!

I've saved the heart from every deer I've killed for 15years. I stuff it or just season it and broil it. It's dee lish. My friend would save the kidneys, they are good fried also, but small.

I've saved the heart from every deer I've killed for 15years. I stuff it or just season it and broil it. It's dee lish. My friend would save the kidneys, they are good fried also, but small.
I've used deer heart to make a Heart & Barley soup - it takes a little more simmering to tenderize, but gives good flavor.

The heart is almost entirely muscle, although it is denser than most other muscles in the body. Let the heart age a few days and it's good eating after slow roasting or baking.

I like to split a pig head in half down the middle and brine it over night. Then I put the two halves in my cooker I made from a double barrel wood stove kit. It has a rack in the top barrel. Cook the head for a few hours with a cottenwood fire in the bottom barrel and it makes for some darn fine eats.

Plenty of tasty bits on a pig head, which is reflected in proper Head-cheese (I hate this term but it is familiar to most).

I have a can of those in my cupboard right now. I haven't been able to talk anyone into sharing them with me yet.

I have a can of those in my cupboard right now. I haven't been able to talk anyone into sharing them with me yet.
From the video, there isn't enough in one can to share. From searching online, they may not be made any longer. And, wow, the price of what's available seems to be steep.

This and the Spam threads make me think of a roommate I had years ago who was broke and kept saying how hungry he was. I tossed him a can of Dinty Moore beef stew that was four years past the sell-by date. Seemed he wasn't all that hungry after all.

Brains are best for brain-tanning.

With the CWD going around and mad cow and such, I'm not fooling with brains much these days. I've eaten them, but nothing I "need" there and no great delicacy as I see it. Proceed with caution is my advice. In the far end of my state, they want the heads for testing for CWD.

Place deer heart in slow cooker with a onion let cool slice thin, good German rye or pumpernickel bread a slice of onion whole grain mustard good swiss cheese. As to hog heads perhaps a batch of sour souse, ponhause sliced about 1 in. thick fried well with king syrup, pudding with pan cakes. My friend especially likes pudding with pan cakes this past weekend after a rabbit hunt purchased 5 lb. at the local country butcher shop we stop at for lunch. Says his wife makes him cook it outside on the grill ( N.Y. city girl) go figure. I knew a older fellow in W.VA that would eat all the brains from squirrels we harvested, my grandmother would scramble hog brains with eggs for breakfast. I myself use as much of the harvest as possible but there are some things I will not use Brains being one of them.

Nothing is better than cold tongue sandwiches with mayo
AMEN...,
Many years ago at the station where I worked, I had a very involved service call, and when I got back the kosher, holiday platter had been served and was mostly gone. Except for two piles of meat, and two of Swiss cheese. The meat was tongue, and as I knew that folks would kill buffalo just for the tongue, I tried a piece of the kosher beef tongue (funny thing to have on a Christmas lunch coldcut platter, but oh well). Then I pinched both piles of Swiss cheese and both piles of sliced, smoked tongue, and took them home when the shift ended. A couple of huge sandwiches and a few glasses of port, and a Merry Christmas was had, indeed.

LD

Some people on another site cooked a boar's head for a medieval feast. I believe they ate the brain.

u32bshr3ku641.jpg

(That's edible gold glitter on the tongue, for show.)

Nice licker he better lay off the persimmons. Looks to me like that head is not cooked at all maybe a prop to spice things up around the table ! Kind of like the scene in one of the Indiana Jones movies where they were eating the monkey brains poor fellow was in the stocks waiting to be crowned.

I stay away from mammalian brain, spinal cord and lymphatic tissues as food - the potential, albeit small, for the transmission of a prion disease is not something I am willing to chance.

I've stayed away from this thread. But, in the interest of caution, I'll add a note to that. In areas where CDW (chronic wasting disease) has been reported the professional advice is to not eat brain or spinal cord tissue. That is where the prions (bad buggies) lurk. Catching CDW can be fatal. Regular muscle meat from deer (including moose, elk, etc.) is OK but dressing and butchering should be done with latex gloves being worn.

Back