• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cooked deer's head

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carbon 6

Cannon
Reaction score
Here's a recipe I stumbled upon, bon appétit.

Deer's head, to cook

Knock off the antlers, and having made ready a good lot of wood ashes at the campfire, scrape part back; place the head on the hot ground, then cover it over well with the hot ashes, thick enough to bake. protect from the winds by a wall of sods, to windward if necessary, and add more fuel on top if required. When it is taken out in an hour or so according to the heat, the skin peels off, and you have the most deliciously baked head.

Knowing about prions isn't authentic. ;)
Ok - the texture isn't in the slightest way appealing to me either...
puking-emoji-isolated-on-white-260nw-1056161906.jpg

I stay away from mammalian brain, spinal cord and lymphatic tissues as food - the potential, albeit small, for the transmission of a prion disease is not something I am willing to chance.

I'd prefer to use the brains with my gloved hands, to tan the hide anyway. :thumb:

LD

The Mexican culture has roasted Cow head, Spain with its whole roasted suckling pig (the brain being eaten) and I've seen roasted sheep or goat head in Sicily. Food is food and someone will eat it. I'm a fan of raw oysters, arguably of a stranger or similar texture to brain, but one is OK and the other doesn't appeal to me.

Don't forget the brain.

I've had fried calves brain sandwiches in Indiana, was okay. Not something I'd go searching for, but not something I'd refuse either.
But, deer brain, like L.D. said, better used for hide tanning.
And there are the risks B.H. pointed out. Though I'm far more concerned with rodent brain matter than most other mammals.

Put it in a can and sell it. I know people who would buy it, eat it and ask for more. (Sarcasm alert.) There are people who could use all the brains they can get.

I'm not interested in eating brains.

My father used to boil heads to clean remnants of flesh, muscle and tendons before sending them to his taxidermist. The scent of boiled head and brains inside, without even seeing the boiling going on, was a turn-off from the get-go.

My father used to boil heads to clean remnants of flesh, muscle and tendons before sending them to his taxidermist. The scent of boiled head and brains inside, without even seeing the boiling going on, was a turn-off from the get-go.
That is very unique odor and not one I enjoy.
Having eaten the Vienna sausages and handled raw & cooked brains, I suspect I know what is used to make the sausages....

Back