• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Converting reproduction to Percussion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob K

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for letting me join this group.

I’m a reproduction BP rifle user and shoot frequently. For some time I’ve wondered if I could take my 54 cal Hawken and replace the barrel with a 50 cal.

As luck would have it I stumbled onto an inexpensive 50 barrel that fits my 54 stock perfectly. Now the problem looking for a solution…it is a flint lock barrel w/o the lock set. An old timer friend suggested looking for a “percussion conversion
bolster”. I’m finding that flint lock to percussion came in many fashions and flavors. Going by the photo of the 54 and 50 barrels, would anyone have a recommendation on how to proceed?

1665701850353.jpeg

Yes, I've done it, once, but in reverse. For a friend moving up to PA.

The breech of the TC barrels is a single piece of cast and machined steel. At the factory what was done to produce a caplock barrel was to screw-in the caplock breech with the percussion "snail", ensure the fit was snug, and voila, a caplock barrel. Likewise, to produce a flint barrel, all that was done was to screw in a flint breech, ensure it was properly snug, and voila flint barrel. Old TC parts kits for shops came with a breech wrench and conversion breeches were available. The trick was to fit the new breech so that the flats on the barrel line up and the barrel underlug is still the bottom flat, the sights are still on top, etc. This, I think, is what your friend was suggesting....

TC BREECH CONVERSION.JPG

The old school way of taking a flint barrel and making it percussion was to install a drum, and then to install a nipple, BUT you also have to modify the lock by removing the pan and filing a deep groove to allow the lock to meet the underside of the drum and the lock plate then supports the drum.

On the other hand it would be easier to simply locate a TC Hawken lock for flint, and swap out the lock AND the barrel when you switch calibers.

LD

You'll definitely need a flint lock for the new barrel. I've done this sort of conversion before but it was flint to percussion and a bit more involved. If that's what you are doing it shouldn't be that difficult. The previous posters gave some great advice and there are other ways to go but look at potential costs when deciding how to do the conversion.

To convert your barrel from flint to percussion, follow the advice of your 'old timer friend'. At one time TC themselves offered the conversion kit which included a drum to replace the vent liner and a percussion lock with a cut-out for the drum. Probably a hard thing to find as they're discontinued. But you can check Track of the Wolf for a drum(it will require fitting to get everything to line up where it needs to be) and then take a Dremel or round file & cut a notch in your lockplate for the drum to rest in. Then you could change barrels back & forth with no other work involved.

To convert your barrel from flint to percussion, follow the advice of your 'old timer friend'. At one time TC themselves offered the conversion kit which included a drum to replace the vent liner and a percussion lock with a cut-out for the drum. Probably a hard thing to find as they're discontinued. But you can check Track of the Wolf for a drum(it will require fitting to get everything to line up where it needs to be) and then take a Dremel or round file & cut a notch in your lockplate for the drum to rest in. Then you could change barrels back & forth with no other work involved.
What great advice, Track of the Wolf had a big selection of drums. Just need to determine thread sizes. Thank you very much!!

Thats not a TC barrel. Thats an Investarms barrel I believe. You could add a drum and nipple. Then the drum may not line up with the hammer nose. A picture of the whole gun or the left side of the barrel will confirm if its an Investarms or not. It will probably be cheaper to just buy a 50 caliber percussion barrel and sell the FL barrel.

I just bought a 50 caliber barrel off ebay that is a little rough in the bore. It will probably shoot just fine but I have my heart set on having it bored out by Mr. Hoyt to a slow twist .54 cailber barrel. I have already fitted it to my .50 caliber rifle stock. Easy to do. Just a little file work on the barrel hook. I paid just a tad over $100 for the barrel with shipping.

Just a quick follow up about converting the 50 cal barrel to percussion. The suggestion to look at TOTW was a good one and have quite a few powder drums to choose from. Here’s my next roadblock, after exposing the “attachment tapped hole” on the barrel I’ve discovered the barrel is threaded for a 6-1.25 mm drum. Of course TOTW has 8 & 10 mm drums but no 6mm. This was made in Italy by Invest Arms for Cabela. Anyone have a clue where I might find a 6mm powder drum?

Have you thought of drilling and retapping for 8 or 10mm drums if you can't find a 6mm? It might be easier.

Gave it some thought. I figure the drum needs to be fixed in position to align with the hammer. That would require a specific start and end point of the new threads. A skill beyond me. Am I overthinking this?

Gave it some thought. I figure the drum needs to be fixed in position to align with the hammer. That would require a specific start and end point of the new threads. A skill beyond me. Am I overthinking this?
Actually the threads that are in there most likely won't be clocked to line up the nipple with the hammer. I would just drill and tap it for a standard drum with no nipple hole in it. Then screw the drum in tight and mark the location of the new hole that you will need to drill and tap in the drum with a center punch, then take it out and drill and tap the hole in the drum for your nipple.

Just a quick follow up about converting the 50 cal barrel to percussion. The suggestion to look at TOTW was a good one and have quite a few powder drums to choose from. Here’s my next roadblock, after exposing the “attachment tapped hole” on the barrel I’ve discovered the barrel is threaded for a 6-1.25 mm drum. Of course TOTW has 8 & 10 mm drums but no 6mm. This was made in Italy by Invest Arms for Cabela. Anyone have a clue where I might find a 6mm powder drum?

Not up on my metric to inch conversions. I know 6mm is smaller than 1/4 inch. Would that leave enough to drill the metric threads out & re-tap for the TC 1/4 x 28 drum?

Actually the threads that are in there most likely won't be clocked to line up the nipple with the hammer. I would just drill and tap it for a standard drum with no nipple hole in it. Then screw the drum in tight and mark the location of the new hole that you will need to drill and tap in the drum with a center punch, then take it out and drill and tap the hole in the drum for your nipple.
Aha! Every problem has a solution ! If I did 1/4-28 it should be tight enough and use the same for the nipple. Thanks!

Not up on my metric to inch conversions. I know 6mm is smaller than 1/4 inch. Would that leave enough to drill the metric threads out & re-tap for the TC 1/4 x 28 drum?
Not a good idea for drum to barrel threads. A 1/4-28 thread requires a #3 drill (.213” diameter). To clean up the 6mm threaded hole in the barrel you will need 6mm drill (.236” diameter), or you could just use the #3 drill and ignore the threads already there. Ok for attaching something decorative, but not a drum to a barrel.

Why not just get a M8x1.25 drum and then use a M8x1.25 vent liner when you want to shoot flint? This is the standard size used by Pedersoli. Here is a photograph of one I own with both the flint and percussion locks. Changeover takes but a few minutes, and I have had no issues shooting either configuration.
1654371049724.jpeg

I’ll have to finalize the math so your point is well taken. TOTW does offer a 3/8-24 and a 7/16-24 barrel so there are choices. Like you Pedersoli, and your ability to switch and appreciate your point.

Not a good idea for drum to barrel threads. A 1/4-28 thread requires a #3 drill (.213” diameter). To clean up the 6mm threaded hole in the barrel you will need 6mm drill (.236” diameter), or you could just use the #3 drill and ignore the threads already there. Ok for attaching something decorative, but not a drum to a barrel.

Why not just get a M8x1.25 drum and then use a M8x1.25 vent liner when you want to shoot flint? This is the standard size used by Pedersoli. Here is a photograph of one I own with both the flint and percussion locks. Changeover takes but a few minutes, and I have had no issues shooting either configuration.
1654371049724.jpeg

Thanks for the clarification.

Remember if you add a drum you will have to file/grind a half circle in your lock to clear the drum like mentioned in post number 4 and pictured in post #17. So you may want to look at your lock first to see if you can even do that without damaging the lock.

Back